Need decent portable headphones for < $50 ? Thanks!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Lane F., Nov 29, 2003.

1. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good pair of headphones for around $50 or less. I'd like them to be the kind that wraps around your ear (ear sits inside). They also need to fold-up in some fasion to make them easy to carry around. I just want something decent to listen to my portable cd/mp3 player while between classes at school.

I found these Sennheiser PX-200 for less than $30 after rebate, but I can't tell if they are the kind where your ears rest inside them?

2. Jason8

Jason8 Agent

I'm not sure what you mean by the ear rests inside, but I recommend the Koss KSC-35, they clip behind your ear, and are open 'phones, i'm not sure where you can get them, but they I got mine for $25 a year ago. They are excellent portable phones. I also have the Senn px200, try amazon or ecost, they are supra-aural (rest ontop of your ear) and are closed, so they provide some isolation (which can be handy for portable phones). They also fold and come with a nifty case, good sound, not as wide soundstage as KSC-35, but that is because they are closed.

Also in the same $30 price range, is Senn px100. I don't have these, but am told that they are very similar to the Koss ksc35s. They are supra-aural and are open phones. Likewise they fold and come with a case....so If you want some isolation (subway commute, library), go with Senn px200. If not, go with one of the open headphones.

3. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I second Jason8 recommendation.

Go to HEAD FI to research more about heaphones, is a great board, like this one, but the only talk about headphones.

5. Lane F.

Lane F. Stunt Coordinator

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input, and especially for the link to Head-Fi. I'm educating myself on headphones now (open/closed, etc), so the jury is still out on what I will end up with.

6. Daniel_Burke

Daniel_Burke Extra

I've had koss before and would buy again. They were very good sounding compared to others that are in the same price range. I mailed them in after they broke and a new set was sent to me. I used them on a daily basis and eventually broke the second set. But for the price I dont think you can beat them.