Need DB-25 to 6 RCA adapter or cable

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by BillG, Jan 5, 2004.

1. BillG

BillG Agent

I just bought a Denon DVD-2200 player. The 5.1 input on my Rotel RTC-970 is a female DB-25. I have jerry-rigged an adapter for temporary use while I look for the Real Thing.

Seems like no one has these adapters! I found a listing at http://www.msbtech.com but their nearest dealer is 600 miles from me. Supposedly Monster Cable has or used to have one, but their Web site does not show it.

So what can anyone suggest? I need a male DB-25 on one end and 6 RCA connectors on the other end. If it is 1/2 meter or longer, the RCA connectors should be male so they connect straight into the DVD player.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Check the custom cable sites. I think Blue Jeans Cables can help. Send them an email. (Tell em HTF sent you. [​IMG] )

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

BillG any luck with Blue Jeans Cables? I was thinking of the same thing for hooking my pre/pro to my Rotel RMB-1095 which has the DB25 connection, yet my pre/pro has RCA. I would assume I would have to get a DB-25 to Six RCA like that on msbtech but leave the Sub RCA unplugged since my sub is powered not passive. I contacted Monster about the cable but the price was like $110US. Here's a link to the site.

http://www.onecall.com/PID_11171.htm#

Other than having less interconnects going from prepro to amp what would the advantage of this cable be over 5 standard RCA interconnect.

Kevin

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I believe that's also called a breakout cable. You can try places like Markertek (spelling?), AVCable, and probably even ebay for less expensive solutions.

5. BillG

BillG Agent

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I have TWO ways now to get this done!

I contacted Blue Jeans Cable. So far they get A-triple-Plus for responsiveness. Kurt responded to my email request at 9:30pm! He is not sure he can make the cable I need but will look in his parts bin. The problem is the size of the coax. His normal audio signal coax is just too large to get six of them on a DB-25 connector. I suggested trying the mini-video coax he uses for HD-15 connectors. We'll see what he comes up with.

The OneCall link for the Monster Cable adapter will be my second bet. I agree that $110 is a high price, but considering the technical difficulties of getting 6 coax lines into a DB-25 hood, the labor involved in soldering it together and the low demand for something like this, I don't consider it out of line.

Stay tuned, I'll let everyone know what happens.

6. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

for what it's worth, you can call msb directly and order the cable from them. i did when all i needed was a 6 ft. cable. otherwise, try the link below. i bought one from cobalt cables and the service and shipping was great. they were the only ones i found that could make the cable in the length i needed. and it's much nicer than any cable the other manufacturers sold:

http://www.cobaltcable.com/product/d...udio_cable.htm

kevin t

7. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

What advantage does this cable have over using seperate RCA cables? I'm interested in one to connect the preouts of my Yamaha RX-V1400 to the DB25 of my Rotel RMB-1095. Since I wouldn't use the RCA connection for the Sub cause its not passive would this create problems?

Kevin

8. BillG

BillG Agent

Kevin W. - in my case the advantage is that I get to use my DVD-2200! My Rotel RTC-970 does not have RCA connectors for the 5.1 input. DB-25 is the only choice. For you, if RCA connectors are available on both ends then I suggest using them.

The theory behind using DB-25 connectors was convenience. It never took off and in recent years has been totally abandoned except in professional studio gear.

Update: I have not heard from Blue Jeans Cable for two days. He had some problems with the snow out in Seattle. Monster finally replied to my query, referring me to http://www.antennastore.com where I found the right cable listed for about $150. OneCall lists the Monster cable for about $110. CobaltCable has it in a 1/2 meter length which would suit my system perfectly, price about $95.

If I haven't heard from Blue Jeans Cable in a few more days, I'll probably buy the Cobalt item.

9. BillG

BillG Agent

So everyone knows how this turned out ...

Although the initial response was great, Blue Jeans Cable stopped responding. The last communication I had was that the snow in Seattle was slowing him down. I've heard nothing since then, almost two weeks ago.

I ordered a 1 meter cable from Cobalt Cables on Monday. It arrived Friday (today). The cable is solidly put together and works very well. Price was $107.

Monster Cable finally did respond to my email. They sent me to a dealer who was selling their cable for $150. That's too much even for a good cable.

Thanks for the suggestions, especially Kevin T who pointed me to Cobalt Cables.

10. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Glad you found your cable. I'm using a low quality one that I got from One Call back in the day for this purpose.

BTW, I believe Onkyo and Rotel both still use this connector on some of their most recent gear. It is extremely convenient compared to a bunch of RCA cables, as I'm sure you would agree Bill. Imagin if all you had to connect was one DB25-toDB25 connector for multichannel! Wouldn't that be great?

11. karl_burns

karl_burns Stunt Coordinator

Bringing up an old thread, but I've got a new (to me anyway) Rotel RSP-985 and it's only got space for the DB25 connection. I need to run SACD cables to it. Although I can find the cables/adapters, is there any difference in sound quality between the DB25 and 6 RCAs?
    Thanks!
    Karl

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

No.