1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need current firmware # for Panasonic players.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I'm currently preparing my Panasonic A-110 to ship out for an optical pickup replacment and a firmware upgrade, but I don't know the current firmware for Panny's, I need it to make sure it was done when the player comes back. The old firmware is U733, is this still the current #, or has it been changed?
    Incidentally, this is the second time I had to have this done, I sent it out last year and they replaced the optical pickup and updated the firmware. It's been fine since until just recently when I started to notice a little pixelation here and their, but i'm not going to let it get as bad as it was before. This thing was a nightmare before I got it repared the first time and i'm not going through that kind of misery again!
    Beleve me, I am perfectly aware of the history of this player, but it only took a week to get fixed the last time, witch isn't too bad and it didn't really cost me that much, so I figured what the hell, and besides, it's great player, when it works that is. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

2. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Anybody?
    ------------------

3. Christian Sonntag

Hey John,
    I can't really answer your question, but I wanted to continue the conversation. I have an old Panny A310 that I bought in late '98. I have only ever had 2 discs that gave me slight problems:
    The Saint- with the dreaded "levolor" issue, and
    Leon, The Professional- which skipped a full chapter upon layer change.
    Other than that, this player has been rock solid for me. I know there has been a lot of press about these players and their problems, but it has died down somewhat in recent months. I assume this is because the people who had real problem units have had them repaired, and the vasy majority of members on the forum are not early adopters like us, so they have newer models.
    Do you have any insight into this model, and whether a firmware change should be performed even though I have had few problems? I'm just wondering if a firmware change would provide some slight benefits that I am not aware of. Also, what does the firmware upgrade cost, and do you have to show a purchase receipt to get them?
    Regards,
    Chris
    ------------------
    Christian A. Sonntag
    "The world owes you nothing. Take responsibility for your own actions!"

4. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Chris, it sounds like your particular player is fine, but I have a bunch of literature about Panasonic players that I gathered together when I was researching the various problems that Panasonic players exhibit, before shipping my player out the first time, and your player the A-310 is mentioned as being a problem player, but if you havn't had any real problems with it by now, you should be cool.
    Upgrading the firware on you player would probably get rid of that occasional problem you have altogether, but if it doesn't do it that much, is it really worth the money to get this done, in your case I would say no. From what I understand, the cost of a firmware upgrade isn't TOO bad, but if you have to have your optical pick up unit replaced, get ready to cry, the cost is almost that of a new player! I got it done so cheap because I got lucky and got a cool guy on the phone at Panasonic who took pity on me and gave me a great deal, $109.00 and he'll replace the optical pick up, and update the firmware, PLUS give me an extended 2 year warrenty on the player, this was last year, and now here I am, having to have it all done again, but this time i'm covered by the warrenty I mentioned.
    I think the main reasons we havn't really heard anymore about these problems around here is because A, Panasonic has gotten much better at building good dvd players and B, people got burned too badly by Panasonic and have scrapped their problem players for Sony's or Pioneer's etc, they didn't think it was worth it to get the players fixed, so they chucked them, I really can'tblame them, I was close to completely losing it with this player before I got it fixed the first time. You know that scene in Office Space when the boys take that fax machine out to that field and beat the living shit out of it with baseball bats, well there you go, that was almost me!
    ------------------