What's new

Need Connection Help! (1 Viewer)

radjxf

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Hello guys. I'm a bit techno-illiterate and need some connection/configuration advice.

I've got a 3 y/o Sony Wega 55" 1080i HDTV with one HDMI IN, and all of the other standard inputs.
Just bought a Sony upscaling DVD player that also has HDMI OUT, as well as component out, etc.
I have a Dish Network HD satellite receiver that has HDMI OUT and also the 'lesser' connections.
Lastly, I have an older Onkyo receiver that has everything BUT HDMI. It has digital coaxial, fiber optic (toslink?), etc, but NO HDMI IN/OUT.

I would like to be able to have the option of playing DVD's and satellite broadcasts with AND without using the A/V receiver.

Currently, after struggling through all of the manuals, I can't seem to find the right configuration that gives me picture AND sound!

Also, when playing a DTS DVD, the DTS soundtrack will not play anymore. I even set the DTS to "ON" in the DVD setup menu, but the setup for the Sony DVD seems VERY complicated to me!

I thought I had it figured out, then the wife calls me (I work away from home) and says the DVD will not appear on the TV screen (no video).

Sorry to be long-winded. Any connection help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Since you have only one HDMI input on the tv, I'd use the dvd player plugged into that, since upscaling usually only happens over HDMI. Along with having DTS turned "ON" in player's setup, you also need to have the audio output set to "Bitstream", not PCM. Then use Toslink for audio from player to receiver. This connection is when using A/V receiver. To use without receiver, connect with yellow RCA cable (for video), and red & white RCA cables for audio, to tv. If you have more than one set of component inputs (red, blue, & green) on tv, you can use component cables instead of yellow cable (or even s-video).

I'd use component cables to tv, to connect the Dish box, for video, and digital coax for audio to receiver, for use with A/V receiver. Then s-video or yellow RCA cable from Dish box to tv for video, and red & white audio cables to tv, for use without A/V receiver.

Depending on how the digital inputs (digital coax & optical) on the receiver are labeled (factory set), you may have to assign the inputs to what you plugged into them. The manual will walk you through that.

If the reason for this is so the wife can use while you're not home (happens a lot, because most wives aren't as tech savvy), you need to get a Harmony remote. They are extremely wife and family friendly. With everything off, you can push the "Watch a Movie" button, and the remote will turn on the tv, put it on the right input, turn on the A/V receiver and put it in DVD mode, and turn on the DVD player. All you'll need to do then, is open the drawer and put disc in, and close drawer. After the movie, if you want to watch tv, push the "Watch TV" button. It will then turn off the dvd player, put tv on correct input, turn on cable or sat box, and put A/V receiver in TV mode. Then just change channels as needed. Turn everything off with push of one button.

You program the Harmony online. At their site, you enter your equipment's model numbers, answer a few questions, and download the info to the remote via USB cable. Very easy..............
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Good luck!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Jim:

You need to post models numbers for everything so we can look at the manuals and figure out your best options.

Short answer based on the way most stuff tends to work:

Make sure your Sony BD player is set to "bitstream" for its digital audio outputs. That should take care of the sound format issues.

Connect the Blu Ray player and the Dish receiver to the TV using the HDMI cables. Connect each to the receiver using the digital audio cables (coax, optical or some combination depending on which inputs and outputs you have available. You'll probably need to assign those optical ports to particular video inputs even though you're not using video.)

With this arrangement the HDMI cables will carry picture and sound to the TV, and when you want to add the receiver for surround sound, you can just turn it on and switch to the appropriate input.

This does mean switching inputs on both the TV and the receiver, but that really can't be avoided if you want to use TV sound as well as surround. In situations like this it is usually less the connections themselves than keeping track of which device is on which input (and which inputs aren't used at all) that confuses people and leaves with with no picture or no sound or both. (I wired my mom's system up so that she can record shows to her VCR to watch in other rooms, as well as on her DirecTV DVR, and she's forever knocking the VCR off channel 3 or changing something else and ends up with no picture. ;)

Regards,

Joe

radjxf

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Thanks guys for the quick and thorough responses.

I work away from home, so I cannot tell you the model # on the Onkyo receiver. Again, it's about 8 years old and does NOT have HDMI, but has pretty much everything else.

The TV is a Sony KDF-E55A20 1080i ? model. It has only ONE HDMI input, and ONE each of the 'other' types.

The DVD is a Sony DVP-NS700H/B upscaling DVD player to replace an older ailing Sony std dvd unit.

Here's what I know right now: I have the DVD video running via HDMI to the ONLY HDMI input on the back of the TV. Below the HDMI port there is a white and red RCA audio input. I'll assume I have to use those for sound from the DVD player when NOT using the AV system?

Since the only HDMI port is now being used by the DVD player, I connected the satellite receiver via component video (3 cables) to the back of the TV.

Here's where I get confused: The audio stuff--I think I have a digital coax going from the DVD to the AV receiver and ??maybe an S-video going from the satellite receiver to the AV receiver.
I've got lots of cables, but am currently trying to locate my old Toslink optical cable.

I swear before I left home I had everything working BUT the DTS with the exception that my TV now displays "Satellite" on DVD and vice versa. I'll sort that out later.

Thanks again.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If you ran the three component cables from sat box to tv, as you mentioned, you'll need to run digital coax or optical from sat box to A/V receiver, for surround. Run s-video and red&white audio cables from sat box, straight to tv, for watching without A/V receiver on.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Sorry, missed that there was only one HDMI input on the TV. If I may dissent slightly from Ed's suggestion, I would say there is no reason for you to run s-video, which can only handle SD resolutions, from the satellite box to the TV. You can run red and white analog audio cables to the audio input associated with the component input you've got the sat. box connected to and get HD picture and analog sound when just "watching TV".

Regards,

Joe

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yep, you're right. It was in the back of my mind that he was going through the receiver with component first, which would make the receiver having to be on to watch tv. So, s-video was next best. Sorry radjxf. Didn't mean to confuse even more...........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks