What's new

Need connection help for Dummy :-) (1 Viewer)

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
I have/had low level stuff and the reciever gave up the ghost. Wife wanted it replaced for watching Christmas movies. Got a Sony STR-DH800 for the replacement. I think I have most of the connections figured out except the sub.
There is a connection on the reciever named audio out subwoofer, the problem I have is on the sub there are the following:

From Amplifier with left and right speaker wire connections
To Speaker with left and right speaker wire connections
Low level input with a left and right plug-ins

The sub is a cheap KLH Bassbite III

Don't see a way to connect the two with the connections I have. HEP ME!!

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated so I can make the wife happy and enjoy Christmas moives :))

Thanks in advance

Chuck

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Originally Posted by cwwilhelm
Low level input with a left and right plug-ins
Are these RCA type connections? If so, a cable from the "audio out subwoofer" you mentioned, to either one of those RCA connections should work. You can use a "Y" adapter at the sub end, and connect to both RCA connectors, but it's not necessary.

Then, in the receiver's setup menus, set the subwoofer to "ON" or "YES", whichever wording they use. For that sub, I'd say set the crossover for it to about 120 or 150.
Connect the speakers to the receiver, not the subwoofer.

Not being familiar with that sub, and not finding a picture of it, this is my suggestion. Maybe someone more familiar with that sub will chime in.
Good luck!

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm

Thanks for the suggestion. Can't locate my digital camera, but took this with my iPhone. Not a very good pic, but thought it might help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Connect a subwoofer cable (or any 75 ohm digital coaxial/composite video cable) from the "Audio Out-Subwoofer" port on the Sony to the "Low Level Input-Mono (L) port on the KLH and change the settings in the receivers speaker setup menu (or run the Sony's automatic setup routine-making sure it sets your speakers to "Small") as Ed suggested.

cwwilhelm

Grip
Real Name
Chuck Wilhelm
Thanks to both of you.

Will give that a try and then load up the boat and go fishing :)))

Blu4ever

Grip
Real Name
Patrick
I also agree with earlier posts...run a single rca line out to the sub and at the sub use a "Y" connector (1 female and 2 males) and insert them into the two rca jacks (red & white).in your pic.

And with the Y adapter u gain +6db on the subs output. Set your speakers to small and crossover at the receiver to no more than 120. On the sub if it has a frequency setting turn it to max b/c the receiver sets the cr frequency and the volume/gain to about 60-65%.. Try it and let us know what happens..

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks