need Component cable advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by david*mt, Dec 12, 2002.

1. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

I know this topic has probably been covered before, but I'll ask anyway. I need advice for a component cable to hook up my DVD player to my 24' Toshiba flat screen. Since my TV is not HD or anything, I am not sure whether or not spend a lot on a Monster or go with a cheaper brand. I have been watching DVDs on my PS2 with an S-video cable and I think they look great. If anyone has some advice, I would appreciate it or if anyone knows anyplace online to get a cheap one that would be great too.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

If you know a topic has been covered before, the preferred approach is to search for the prior threads. For this question, the best place to search is the Tweaking, Connections and Accessories forum, which is where I'm moving this thread.
    M.

3. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

If you're still going to be using your PS2 as a DVD player, I suggest you check out http://www.interact-acc.com for the "Pro-Series Component Video Cable." I don't know if you can still order direct from them, but they have a list of retailers. Check online, as I know that Best Buy and others usually don't stock these at their actual stores.

4. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

hows that Toshiba TV I think I will be getting one soon! Any info would be great! By the way 24 feet is a really big TV! LOL:b

5. david*mt

david*mt Second Unit

The Toshiba is nice. I am in a dorm room and it is great for that, but if your thinking about putting it into a larger room I would go with a bigger model. Picture quality is great when hooked up through component cable or s-video. Also, the speakers are pretty good. I recommend it for a small to mid-sized room.

6. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Hi David,

RCA makes a great 75ohm video cable that only costs a few bucks. I would try three of those. If you have an "electronics supply" store nearby, you should check to see if they have any pro-grade component cables. I've seen really nice generic component cables that go for $20 for 6 feet (this at a store that sells cables and other gear to post houses).

Also, be sure to compare your results with an S-video cable.