Need clarification on DD-EX and DTS-ES

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Chirag, May 9, 2003.

1. Chirag

Chirag Auditioning

A few questions regarding Dolby Digital Extended Surround and DTS Extended Surround.

1) Is DD-EX true discrete 6.1? Or is the 6th channel matrix-encoded from Left surround and Right surround only?

2) DTS-ES Matrix is not-true 6.1 (6th channel matrix encoded) while DTS-ES Discrete is true 6.1, right?

3) Is there a true discrete 7.1 encoding (DD or DTS)? Or is the max number of discrete channels upto 6.1?

4) If DD-EX is a matrix 6.1 channel then why are there some DVDs like Gladiator which have DD-EX on them? I would assume that ALL 5.1 DVDs would also be 6.1 DVDs (and 7.1) if one has the right receiver and right number of speakers?

5) If I want to setup a 7.1 HT, should I necessarily look at a THX-certified receiver because Extended Surround was invented by THX/Dolby Labs, I believe? Or will something like Denon AVR1082 which has 7 discrete amplifiers suffice?

2. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Actually there is only DTS-ES no EX

DTS-ES can be one of either Matrix or Discrete depending on how it was mastered.

And yes any 6.1 reciever will play a 6.1 matrix soundfield off of any 5.1 material.

DD-EX simply has a flag to force this on the reciever otherwise you have to manually put the reciever into a 6.1 matrix mode for the DVD you're watching.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

What jeremy said.

5. Chirag

Chirag Auditioning

Thanks a lot guys! That cleared up some of my questions.

So, basically, DD-EX DVDs are only a marketing fad. The only difference between a DD-EX DVD and a non-DD-EX DVD is the encoded flag in the DVD which can anyway be set manually in a 6.1/7.1 capable receiver.

Also, I learned that 6.1 discrete is the max it goes (DTS only, DD doesn't have the capability). There is no discrete 7.1 by eiter DD or DTS.

This brings up another question:
    1) Can any DTS 5.1 material be played in 6.1 DTS-ES Matrix if one has a DTS-ES receiver?
    2) Are there any 6.1 DTS discrete ES DVDs out there?

6. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

1) My receiver can force the 6th channel, yes.
    2) Yes, the ones I own are: Blade 2, LOTR extended dance mix, and Gladiator.

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, there's a fine line there. It's like pro logic, for instance. You can apply pro logic processing to ANY 2-channel source you want. The ones that are labeled pro-logic, though, are mixed with this in mind, so that the results of the processing are intended. Many old soundtracks, and most music is not mixed with this in mind at all, so the results are mixed. Same thing goes with DD-EX, and DTS-ES matrix. The ones labeled as such have been mixed so that the right sounds come out the rear when processed as such. Older titles, and titles not mixed with this in mind will usually sound better if you engage the EX/ES processing, BUT it's your call. It isn't really JUST a marketing thing, although I would say that almost all 5.1 discs benefit from having 6.1 engaged, wheras with pro logic, many things(like music) were better in plain stereo.

As for now, 6.1 is as far as it goes in the home. SDDS can provide 7.1 (5 on-screen channels, two surrounds) in the theater, but the extra two channels on screen aren't ever mixed for (that I know of anyway), and it is not available in the home. I'm not familiar with the encoding there either, but I hear it's crappy.

Other formats, including DTS can, in theory support many more channels. I think MLP can support like 60 something channels or something. Now THATS a lot of channels, if anyone ever used them. [​IMG]

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Lanny_B

Lanny_B Second Unit