What's new

Need cheap Stereo (2ch) receiver w/good FM reception for dad... (1 Viewer)

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
My dad finally got his outdoor paradise setup with his new pool, koi pond and bar and needs some tunes back there. He does love music but he is by no means an audiophile and doesn't like spending a lot of $$. He is kind of out in a remote area so FM reception is very important.

I was going to buy the Onkyo TX-8211 b/c I can get it for only $99 at J&R music world (refurb). My only fear was the reception. I read the reviews on audio review.com and one guy mentioned the FM reception being very weak?

next I need to pick him out a decent (but still cheap) pair of outdfoor speakers....was looking at the JBL S36 outdoor ones....any comments?

Thanks very much in advance for any input anyone can offer....

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kevin, that’s a pretty cheap price to expect high-quality FM. However, any shortcomings in the tuner would be SQ related, or things like adjacent channel selectivity. Reception shouldn’t be an issue – after all, cheap clock radios picks up stations just fine.

Reception problems are typically antenna related, so make sure you have a good antenna. In your dad’s situation, a directional model aimed towards the nearest metropolitan area is what you want.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Thanks Wayne, I didn't mean top notch FM performance, I just meant static free reception of the popular local stations. It's not really a $100 receiever, its a refurb that normally costs $250 new from a respectable manufacturer(Onkyo)and its just a straight 2ch model meant specifically meant for CD, phono and tape, and.....stereo. Granted this is low-end for audiophile's, but as you stated even clock radio's and minisystems can do a great job of cleanly pulling in stations. I am not expecting topshelf FM performance, I just want good reception meaning no static on local stations.

The reviews on this receiver are actually very good on audioreview.com HOWEVER there was a few complaints I have seen on this reciever and other Onkyo receiver's about weak tuner performance. One guy was stating even after adding an antenna he still got better reception from his cheapo minisytem. I can't understand how a $20 clock radio can pull in a station better than a $300 receiver from a respectable manufacturer....

Anyhow, I was wondering if their are better choices within the $300 range for a straight 2 ch model....Again, I don't think a static free tuner is too much to ask....

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I'd check out ebay and spring for a vintage tuner or reciever Kenwood, Marantz and the like.

The older tuners are very sensitive and have damn good sound.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Certainly, that’s not too much to ask. Stereo receivers are getting hard to find, but Yamaha, NAD, Rotel and a few others still make them. As Nick suggested, you might also look into some vintage stereo gear – lots of value for the money there. Check eBay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Alex F.

Second Unit
Kevin:

The sophisticated FM tuners built into some receivers of the 1970s and 1980s are long gone. Today, in most cases, the tuner is an afterthought, and delivers mediocre performance or worse.

As always, as mentioned above, an adequate antenna is key to best reception. If stereo reception is not a priority (since background music outdoors is its intended use), make certain that any receiver you purchase allows you to select mono reception--this will minimize the amount of audible hiss inherent to receiving a weak signal.

Good luck!

StephenHa

Second Unit
I haven't found a new receiver with good reception, where I lived was a fringe area, so I needed the best tuner possible, and ended up using an old tuner into an aux input on my receiver

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Thanks again guys.

Can anyone recommend a specific vintage model or maybe a specific seller? What about the classifieds here? Better deals on ebay?

Come to think of it my HK AVR7000 is having problems. the left channel went out-not completely but it puts out a tiny signal now...swtiched speakers and cables so its definitely the reciever. Not sure if its even worth fixing, you hear so many problems with this receiver! And what would it cost to fix $200-$300? So I might be in market for new receiever too! For mysely, it would be in the $500 and under range....

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I can vouch for Kenwood tuners, i have the KT-7300

check out the vintage section of AudioAsylum.com

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Sherwood RX-4105. This is the replacement for the 4100/4103 and has an improved amplifier section. Has a remote which the Onkyo does not appear to have. This is the one I am planning to get for my deck speakers. Combine this with an RF remote(which I already have) and you have full control from outside without having to deal with remote wired volume controls & IR sensors. MSRP is $149 and the cheapest shipped price I found was here:

Sherwood

-Dave

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It would be hard to go wrong with virtually any vintage stereo receiver, compared to what passes for tuner sections these days. The downside is that they’re mostly analog, which means manual tuning, so if remote control is a priority, you might have to be prepared to live with the compromise in performance.

By the way, Kevin, we aren’t supposed to include equipment lists in our signatures. You might want to change it before a Moderator notices. See #6 at this link, Forum Rules and FAQ.

What you might want to do is have the Forum create you a page where you can list your gear, or even upload pictures. Look for the “Theaters” link at the top of the thread Index.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Porter

Grip
not to push my own product, but I'm selling my denon DRA-685 on ebay right now. It hasn't seen much use through its life and has been a great receiver. Read the reviews at audioreview there pretty good, when I bought it I think it was on their top ten stereo receivers not sure if it still is.

Just an idea, it would also let you use a remote and is 4 ohm stable. Plus now you know who selling it and that I'm not trying to screw you.

I'm new here but I post a lot at audiorevie under pwh03 if that helps you at all.

I can't post a link yet beacuse I need 15 posts here but just do a search for denon and got to stereo receivers on ebay

my ebay name is also pwh03

good luck

If its not for you oh well but thought I'd let you know

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
Thanks for the offer Porter, i will keep it in mind...

I am leaning towards a vintage unit, thinking my dad might think its cool and nostalgic too (he is 59 now). My only concern is reliability. Neither one of us has the ability or wants to be messing with replacing or cleaning internal parts etc etc...

We are gonna wanna "set it and forget it"

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
There are people on ebay who have units in awesome condition.

The Kenwood Tuner/Reciever combination i have (actually am borrowing from friend) is in immaculate condition ( http://s94836280.onlinehome.us/room/amp.png ). Ive seen sellers sellin units in as good condition on ebay.

Kevin_Breeze

Second Unit
That thing is pretty neat looking, I really like the nostalgic theme....I think it probably adds something to the enjoyment of the music

Well if you happen to see any good deals let me know. I'll be looking too. Thanks!

Alex F.

Second Unit
They might not have the very lowest prices on vintage gear, but Audioclassics.com is probably the biggest used equipment dealer around. They provide the assurance of a fully tested and adjusted unit, after-sales service, and a money-back policy (except for "as-is" gear). I've not purchased from them, but I know others who have and been very pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks