Need cheap Progressive scan DVD that plays DVD+/-R RW

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David_J, Oct 29, 2003.

1. David_J

David_J Extra

I'm in the market to replace my old Panny A-120U player that will only play DVD-R. I'd like one that is known for playing DVD+-R and DVD+-RW. I'm not worried about region hacks and things like that. I'd also like to know if this "3:2 pulldown" stuff should be a neccessity? I'm an admitted newbie but I do know that I need a progressive scan player if I want to take advantage of my new HDTV. I've been putting old home movies onto DVD so that is the reason for wanting good support for recordable DVD's.

I'd like to minimize my cost as much as possible so I was looking at places like Sears and Wal Mart at the Panasonic S35, Philips 726, Pioneer DV-260, etc. The Philips is the only one that actually states 3:2 pulldown, but the pioneer states "2:3 progressive scan" which I'm not sure is the same thing. The panasonic doesn't say anything about that. I guess I could just buy one at a time and see if they play my disks. If not then take them back.

Any suggestions?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The Panasonic S35 plays all the formats, but I'd recommend a JVC model it loads a lot faster and also plays all DVD+/=R/RW formats plus VCD/SVCD with CDR/RW. The JVC models are XV-N40BK and XV-N50BK, available at Best Buy and other stores - good price well under $100 with a $20 rebate offer right now.

3. David_J

David_J Extra

Thanks I'll check the JVC out.

4. David_J

David_J Extra

I checked bestbuy and they only had the JVC N50BK for $110. I didn't see the 40.

Just saw The Zenith DVB 312 at circuit city that lists just about every possible format (DVD, CD, CD-R/W, DVD-R, DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W, MP3, WMA, and JPEG), progressive scanning, and Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS decoders. The only thing is that I don't see anything about a 3:2 pulldown (weather that means anything). Anyone familiar with this player. For $79 sounds pretty good.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

6. Don_Berg

There is a $20 rebate with JVC right now, so even at Best Buy it would be $89. The XV-N40BK model is cheaper, you can get that for $69 or so online. The Zenith and Pana sonic S35/S55 have artifacts - I don't recommend those models. I have tested the JVC with all format discs and it loads them all well and faster than any other current model.

7. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I have the Zenith and it has a feature that allows it to automatically start DVDs from the beginning of the longest part/title. This allow it to skip trailers and long menu intros like the one on The Lion King. It starts at the beginning of the movie.

8. Lisa Menin

Lisa Menin Agent

David: I just bought the N40BK from Crutchfield for $99 ($79 with the rebate) for use in my bedroom (non-HDTV setup). So far, I am completely satisfied with it. I agree with everything that Don said regarding loading, etc... Very easy to use, good picture in interlaced format. Can't comment on progressive scan since this tv won't allow it.

9. David_J

David_J Extra

Thanks again for your reply's. I see where I can get the JVC n44 on amazon for $83 - $20 MIR. It appears to be the newer version of the 40.

I also read a lot of good things about the Zenith 312? Playes everything under the sun apparently.

But I'm still wondering about this 3:2 pulldown stuff. Neither of them specify it.

10. Don_Berg

The JVC XV-N44SL is not a newer version, its just the silver-colored version of the XV-N40BK which is black. There are some online retailers with these two models as low as $79 or less with the $20 rebate offer that gets it under $60 total. The JVCs definitely have what you call 3:2 pulldown, this is also known as FILM mode de-interlacing. The JVC can be setup for AUTO where it will use FILM(3:2 pd) when film-sources are detected by the flags on the DVD, otherwise it will use VIDEO mode. You can also setup it up to force use of FILM mode or VIDEO mode only for some DVDs that are flagged incorrectly. The higher-end de-interlacers like Faroudja and Silicon Image used in higher cost DVD players ($300-$1000) are superior since they ignore the flags and can detect film-mode sources in more cases and do a better job with video-mode sources, but you have to pay a lot more for it.

11. David_J

David_J Extra

I got to scope out a JVC XV-N55SL today and was pretty impressed with it. It was $119 with a $20 MIR so I might try it.

I was at sears also when I noticed a Sony DVP-NS425P. Looked great, appeared to have every feature I was interested in. Listed support for all types fo burned media and a 3:2 pulldown. They were selling it for $99. Just when I was about to buy it I noticed that it didn't support JPEG viewing. [​IMG] Crap! I thought that just about every DVD player supported JPEG viewing these days. It'll play mp3 disks, but not picture disks. So I canned that idea real quick.

Anyway, I think I'll try the JVC.

12. Don_Berg

Sonys have the chroma bug too - avoid them. JVC is the best deal under $100.

13. Everett A

Everett A Agent

Does the JVC have any noticeable artifacts like the chroma bug?

I know it probably doesn't compare to the picture quality of the rp-82, but how much different is it?

14. Don_Berg

No, JVC DVD players do not have the chroma but at all. The JVC de-interlacer is fine for film-mode DVDs, for video mode its not as good as the Faroujda-based DVD players like the RP82, but its 1/4 the price too. The JVC models are the best under $100, for $300+ its a different story.