Need cheap CD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianKM, Dec 12, 2001.

1. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a simple carousel CD player to give to my mom as a Christmas present. She was using my old Pioneer magazine player and it finally died after ten years. Reliability, a simple interface, and CD-R compatibility are most important as she doesn't need digital outs or Burr-Brown DACs. I'm looking to stay as close to $100 as possible. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Sean W. Evans

Radio Shack is selling for $99.99, a 5-disc carousel, with cd-text, cd-rw compatability. For another 100 bucks, you can get a 100+1 changer.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, as Sean said, Radio Shack sells inexpensive CD changers. They are made by RCA. Best Buy also sells RCA carousel changers in the $80-100 range. As another option, Best Buy and Circuit City sell the Sony CDP-CE275 for $100, but it doesn't come with a remote. I also find it to be flimsy. Also take a look at Technics changers at Best Buy and Circuit City. The SL-PD9 (I think that's the model number) carousel changer is $100. It comes with a remote. I've been looking at the SL-MC4 60+1 changer for my bedroom. It's only $130 at Best Buy. Technics also makes the SL-MC7 110+1 changer, which Best Buy sells for around $150.

4. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

5. Jonathan Lofgren

Jonathan Lofgren Stunt Coordinator

Go to audioreview.com and just look at the different brands, and the ratings they got for what's in your price range. I've been looking into it a little and from what I've seen, Technics makes some decent inexpensive CD players.

6. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the help guys - I ended up getting the Technics SL-MC4 60+1 changer from Best Buy for $130 because it seemed to have the best combination of build quality, features, and value. My roommate has an old SL-MC300 100+1 changer that's going on six years now and it still works fine, so I'm pretty confident in Technics megachangers.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brian, congratulations on your purchase. I hope the SL-MC4 works out for you. As I said earlier in this thread, I am interested in the 'MC4 for my bedroom, so I am interested in your thoughts about the player as you live with it.

By the way, I agree with you about the build quality of the 'MC4. For $130, it looks to be solid. When I first looked at it at Best Buy, I was a bit turned off by the manual door. However, it is one less thing to break, I suppose.