Need cheap but decent rip cord speaker wire asap please.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_Breeze, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Could someone direct me what and where to buy, need it for my dads budget outdoor setup i just got him for his backyard. I got the Onkyo 8211 receiver and a pair of JBL S36AWII's and need about 30-50 ft of speaker wire total (15-25 each speaker). I just don't want to put something in there that might screw up the sound quality.

I'd appreciate the help very much! Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Make a trip to Homedepot and get some 14 or 16 ga speaker wire in whatever length you want. Cheap and fast and would work good.

3. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Sweet, HD is only 5 mintues away. Is this that AWG oxygen free wire that they talked about on audioholics as working just as good as a lot of higher end stuff?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You don't run "normal" speaker wire outdoors. You need to get wire specifically for direct burial or "outdoor" wire for a weather resistant jacket. Should also be able to find this at HD for cheap.

5. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

the wire won't be buried, it's going to be run from inside to the outside wall so some of it will be exposed so you are right I guess I need the "outdoor" wire. Do they make it in 14 ga and is it oxygen free? (I read it should be)

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Not sure why you’re worried about something that “might screw up the sound” – does Dad have some reference-quality outdoor speakers? [​IMG]

Look in the low voltage lighting section – you’ll find what looks like black zip-cord. They’ll have it as large as 12-ga. It’ll “sound” fine. [​IMG]

I see the Mods tagged your signature - I told you about that (no, I didn't turn you in)! [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

If you are going to run in a wall at all, make sure you get CL3 in wall rated stuff.

8. TimMc

TimMc Stunt Coordinator

Wayne's got the ticket: it's Coleman Cable, the HD website lists 12-2 for $.29 per foot but the local HD had it on sale (maybe a missteak, too). It was such a good sale that they were out or else they only had the 500' spools. They also carried 14AWG locally and that worked just fine and was just that much cheaper. It's got a black insulator, is stranded copper, and according to some frickin' website review that I can't find now (swapped out a dead drive & lost way too much) the black insulated stuff measured even better than their 12AWG speaker wire - not that I could ever tell the difference outdoors...

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It doesn't matter that it will not be buried, it is the weatherproof jacket that you are after. It doesn't HAVE to be direct burial, it just has to be able to survive.

10. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Wayne, there you go again seemingly mocking the equipment I am buying? First the reception now the speaker wire, lol. You don't have to have $10k components to expect or get quality sound reproduction. Although the Onkyo TX-8211 receiver and JBL S-36 speakers are by no means top notch equipment they are plenty capable of producing very respectable SQ (granted not much bass without a sub), and things like poor reception and maybe poor wiring could certainly screw that up IMO. For only $350 total I think I got pretty good stuff for a nice sounding 2-ch outdoor setup. It's not like I am buying a set of $10 radio shack computer speakers, wiring them up to an old Kraco car radio and asking if I should buy the Kimber's over MIT's speaker cables to connect them, lol [​IMG]

Anyhow, thanks very much for the info on the speaker wire. Thats all I was looking for, just something that wouldn't be too thin or corrode to easily and ensure I am getting most of the signal from the receiver to the speakers, relatively.

Tim, thanks for the name of the cable and you're input.

11. Kevin_Breeze

Kevin_Breeze Second Unit

Shane I missed your post and I have no idea what CL3 in wall rated stuff is. It's only going to be run right thru a wall through an air vent that was put in to draw smoke from the indoor bar area, so I'd assume I would be ok with the HD stuff that Wayne, Tim and John suggested right?