What's new

Need CGI-free film recommendations (1 Viewer)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
i could see how some movies could be rated as very poor cgi. my wife always says, "that's so computer animated!". but movies like monster's inc, the matrix, SW AOTC. the cgi is amazing. tell your friends to go to roger and eberts home page and check out their top films of all-time. stuff like casablanca, raging bull, gone with the wind is in there. granted, they were great movies in their time, but i'll take Xmen2. i guess your friends don't make it to movie theaters either, cause it might not be as enveloping now, but cgi is getting better and more widely used. soon, all films will use it to a certain degree, like in 5 years. one last thing, do your friends actually watch any cgi movies and then say yes or no to them and just not buy them on dvd, or do they boycott them all together. sorry to beat the dead horse.

eric

Sergio Martorel

Second Unit
Please everyone, contribute. This is a recommendations thread, not a discussion about my friends' tastes in films.
I don´t think people here REALLY wants to contribute with people with that kind of tunnelvision. And the most alarming part is that you say "friendS", plural, as in more than one. Who are your friends, after all? Refugees from the fallout of the Cahiers Du Cinema magazine? Advocates of the failed Dogma 95 filmmaking style?

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
What's next, David? Will you tell us your "friends" don't actually object to "tasteless" 3d CGI either, just "over the top, gratuitous" tasteless 3d CGI? What ridiculously subjective criteria will you throw at us next?

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
I'm not even sure I know what "2D" cgi IS.
That would include digital matte paintings, digital composition and computer enhanced scenery if I'm not mistaken. This makes the selection a whole lot broader, since most modern movies use one or more of these.
As I understand, the restriction is now: No intrusive and/or obvious CGI.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
here's 3 of my favorite non-cgi movies
sneakers
my blue heaven
strange brew

i think full metal jacket is non cgi too.

eric

Simon Basso

Stunt Coordinator
What type of friends will David invent next? Mr & Mrs No-Rear-Speaker-Sound perhaps?

The question of whether cgi is endemic in modern cinema is interesting, and worthy of discussion; but I'm not buying that these people actually exist.

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator
Ya know, technically, DVD itself could be seen as a series of Computer Generated Images derived through MPEG-2 encoding that just happen to be based from a film source, so that would pretty much invalidate EVERYTHING. :D

Seriously, what films have your friends seen and enjoyed? Might make it easier to get a baseline for what they consider 'melodramatic' and such.

I'm going to put in for 'Glengarry Glen Ross' myself.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ricardo,

Stop the thread farting AT ONCE.

This is the last time I want to hear
complaints about your negativity in this
thread.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
How about any movie made before 1990?
After watching the behind the scenes stuff in "Anger Management" where they CG'd all those people in Yankee Stadium, I'd have to agree with the above. Well, maybe not the date, but almost every movie uses CG, even the ones you'd never expect. It's gotten so good that it's almost impossible to watch an entire movie and figure out if there AREN'T CG effects.

Definitely stick to old movies.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I have to admit that your friends do sound, at the very least, stuffy....but nonetheless...apart from the digital image restoration work done by criterion how about The Third Man?
Or Dr. Strangelove?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Who Framed Roger Rabbit - CGI environment in some small sequences.
According to the making-of documentary and the commentary on the Vista Series disc, all the effects were acomplished using opticals and animation. If you don't believe that, check out some of Richard Williams' other work like The Thief and the Cobbler.

However, I think the 3 follow-up cartoons used computer imaging.

Rob Dwyer

Stunt Coordinator
Bah. Not that I agree with your friend's stance, I gotta few up here that really shoulda been mentioned.

- THE MALTISE FALCON (I can't believe Casablanca gets the mention but not this one... hrmph...)

- BACK TO THE FUTURE (nuff said.)

- ANIMAL HOUSE (unless the "Eat Me cake was CG :D )

- THE BLUES BROTHERS (why not? they really dropped that pinto!)

- TRANCERS (a guilty pleasure of mine)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks