What's new

need car advice (1 Viewer)

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
2 things actually...
My wife is contemplating on replacing her 02 C240 with an SUV, either an ML350 or Lexus RX 330. I did the "build & price" and both come out around $45k. The latter however has more gadgets not even available to the former. Also, I heard some bad things about the M class, so any comments or advice would be highly appreciated...

2nd thing, my brother is wanting to get a car for a new job and since he just got here (read no credit or whatnot), what do u guys think is most appropiate....buying a used car or an inexpensive new one? He's leaning towards the Xa. For a used one, he would like an AWD one, Subaru or Mazda Tribute which is approx. around $12k as well like the Scion.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

Read on a Mercedes board:

I know the e320 has some issues, but it's a Mercedes. If you only want ultimate reliability, go buy a Toyota.....

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'd buy the Lexus w/o question. There is also a new hybrid version coming. Lexus's are bulletproof and reliable. If you are willing to consider other models, let me know as I'd probably suggest the 4 Runner which is also a Toyota.

Regarding the Mercedes, I'm 99% sure that they are releasing a new model soon. That will hurt the resale of the ML right now.

LewB

Screenwriter
I bought a Lexus IS300 in June and could not be happier. I know others who have owned the RX SUV and were also quite pleased with the Lexus. I also read that Mercedes took quality hits due to problems related to the 'M' Series. Perhaps a look at Consumer Reports might flush out the reasons for the M class problems.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Forget both of them and buy an Acura MDX. 7-passenger seating, 5 star crash safety, the best voice-activated navigation system in the world, great gas mileage, 265 horsepower, and a far better 4-wheel drive system. Oh, and it's also wider- has more cargo space. The reliability is way better than the MB, and about the same as the Toyota.

Drive one. You won't be disappointed. The resale is incredible, too......they really haven't been discounting them since they came out in 2001.

I promise if you compare closely, you'll see it's a better value.....!:emoji_thumbsup:

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
From a reliability and freedom from minor glitches standpoint the Lexus will win hands down.

If you're going the SUV route solely for better winter driving capability and don't plan to tow a boat or do any off-roading the RX-330 or Toyota Highlander (fewer gadgets on the latter, same basic vehicle) would be the right choice. If you do plan towing or offroading, the 4-Runner or equivalent Lexus (don't remember the model number but they do market a 4Runner clone) would be better.

Unlike previous 4Runners the current model is not based on a pickup truck but is designed from the ground up soley as an SUV. It's marketed in Europe as a Land Cruiser model--they have both the huge one we get and a smaller one, the smaller one is sold here as the 4Runner.

For your brother, one thing to consider in the used vs new debate is the fact that new gets you a full factory backed warranty and you're not taking a chance that the previous owner neglected maintenance.

I'm a mechanic for a Toyota/Scion dealer, the Xa has been totally trouble free for us.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
or a low rider. ;)

I love the voice navigation in the Acuras. They are definitely worth a look. Though the Lexus name seems a knotch above Acura to me. They always have the best interiors.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
My vote is also for the Lexus (or Acura, actually).

As for your brother, if the Xa is all the car he needs, and it doesn't cost more than the alternatives he's considering, then I'd get the Xa. For the same price, I think it's better to get a brand new car (and a Toyota -- well, Scion -- at that) than to get a non-warranted used car about to enter its first (or second or third, depending on mileage) round of maintenance issues. I think getting the Scion will be far less costly in both the short- and long-term.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

There's nothing wrong with this logic at all. I, however, am a fan of the "program" car (I'm sure there are other names for it). I've bought both of my cars (I'm only 21, so not lots of experience here) this way. Each was about 1 year old with about 25,000 miles. These were most likely rental cars or cars that were leased out. I got each for about $5000-7000 below what a new one would cost. Sure, there is the concern about warranty and how the original owner treated it. I immediately switched both of mine to synthetic oil and changed it at every 3000 miles for awhile to take care of any potential sludge build-up. I also bought a warranty through the dealership on one of them (about $1000 for coverage for another 40,000 miles). Didn't ever use it, so I can't really say it was worth it for me . . .but that's up to the individual. Anyway, your brother should look into these "program" cars as they can offer a great value.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Good points, Seth. I bought a one-year-old station wagon - a sales fleet trade-in - a year ago, and it's been a better value than a similar (or identical) new car could ever be.

I should have been clearer and not left the part about "all other things being equal - including the price" out of my previous post.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Thank u so much for the comments guys. We have decided to go ahead and get a Lexus. I did show her the "advantages" of the MDX but she says if she's gonna drive it and it might as well be something she actually likes. Besides we have a Honda Pilot which she says is about the same thing on a low end of the scale.
As for fleet cars, I recall everyone saying that's a no no. U guys have put forth a nice argument against that now. I'll pass that along to him and we can look into it.

Thanks again....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks