Need cable suggestions, please. Thanks.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Grady Hollums, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

OK, I have my new Toshiba 50HX81 coming in on Monday and the Panasonic RP-91K coming on on Friday of next week and the Xbox coming out next Thursday. But since I am used to having a 27" Sharp TV does does not even have S-Video, I think I need to buy some component cables. So, what are the best ones for the best price. I would like to keep the total cost under $100 and my wife would like to keep them under $5, but we all know that she is just going to have to forgive me for spending too much as always [​IMG]
    Also, any one know what settings I should use for viewing the A=Panny RP-91 and The Toshiba 16x9 HDTV. The main reason I am buying the RP-91 is for the zoom/sizing feature that will allow me to fill the entire screen of the Toshiba along with having a good progressive scan. But not having either one and not knowing what settings either the Toshiba or the Panny RP-91 have I really don't know what the settings should be at.
    Thanks so much for the help and suggestions for the cables. I really can not wait for my home theater to be kicked up a notch! BAM!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Grady.
    Your best bet is to hit BetterCables or CatCables web sites and buy some of their HD/Component cable sets. Depending upon the length, it might run you a bit over your $100 limit, but you are getting cables compariable to $300 retail-package cables.
    Good Luck.

3. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I would check other options before spending money on better or cat cable component sets. While they are good cables they are expensive and not necessarily better.
    Buy Canare or Belden based cable set. There are lots of online vendors that sell these broadcast quality cables. IMO you would be hard pressed to tell the diff between these and the more expensive cables from above.
    Try one of these:
    Rhinocables.com
    Wickedcables.com
    KustomKables.com
    Avcable.com
    Cscables.com

4. Mike Witt

Mike Witt Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine just bought these Tributaries cables (he bought 3 meters worth @ $70):
    http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...ponent%20Video
    I went over to his house last night to check them out. He popped in Toy Story 2 and we were both floored! We both have HDTV sets (his=Sony, mine=Toshiba) and are very familiar with TS 2. I have Acoustic Research cables on my set. We noticed details we have never seen before! Almost every scene that came up we would both say simultaneously "Oh my God!" "Do you see that!". I am not exaggerating. I really wouldn't have believed the difference would be so significant. I was very impressed and I'm now definately going to upgrade my component video cables. I'm not sure if I'll get these Tributaries or not - I'm going to shop around - but I'm now a believer in quality video cables and the difference they can make. I think I'll post this in a seperate thread on the board 'cause I am so shocked at the difference.
    Good luck with your search.

5. Grady Hollums

I went with the avcable.com
    They had the best price for the cables I wanted and they also had the specs for the cables right there on the web site. I called a person there and their helpfulness was the reason that I went with them. They too primarily make all their cables and have very few in stock because they make them all right after an order is processed, and then ship them out the next day. He said they would be shipped out the next day. So far I am satisfied with the service and the quality is yet to be determined, but I would do business with them again based of of the customer support so far. Man, I can't wait to see a progressive scan DVD on this set!!!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

6. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Yes avcables prices are very good. But then they do use a more generic cable (Gepco) rather than Belden or Canare. Myself I would rather spend a little more and buy the slightly higher performing cable. Some say they are just as good but....I went with the Belden 1694a component cables from Rhinocables.com. They also custom make the orders (think all do) and ship the same or next day. In fact I purchased their digital cable as well ( very sweet sounding cable). Of course its only my opinion so no flames from the anti-cable bunch:)

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Well as someone that uses catcables I can't help but recomend them wholeheartedly. FYI there's a coupon on my site that will lower the price a tad.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

8. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Andrew,
    Hate to disagree or argue with your recommendation but..
    Think all the companies listed on my list are a much better buy than CATcables as far as component cables go. Not only are their prices higher than bettercables but they look kinda cheap and tacky.Those "pro" bnc connectors look like something that is made in Taiwan and sold in a Radio shack! Hope I'm wrong on this point at least.
    They don't even list specs (not that I could see anyway)
    The above cable makers use the real pro stuff "Canare" connectors and offer Belden, Canare or Gepco cables. Specs are widely available so you know what you are buying.
    I do like the make-up of their of their s-vhs cables though. Now all they have to do is improve the cosmetics. I know its a case of "to each their own" but to me they look very cheezy. Would not buy their sub cables either. Tinned copper conductor, yuck!
    This is all just my opinion and I don't claim to be an authority on anything. No offense meant.

9. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

HOw 'bout AR cables? THey any good?

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

www.catcables.com - All the way! You can get your cables terminated with WBT connectors too, if you like.
    - Chip
    ------------------

11. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Why do you guys keep suggesting Catcables? Their prices are way over the guys budget! WBT connectors for what? Do they even make video RCA/BNC 75 ohm connectors?

12. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

re AR cables. Have no experience with these. They do sell them in Radio Shack and they appear to be the same as the RS gold series. Same connectors, packaging etc.. They may have a premium line of cables that I haven't seen though.

13. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Hey Marc? Just curious... are you the new "28" post cable guru at HTF? Lol...
    - Chip
    ------------------

14. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

That's Mark, not Marc :)
    Like I said I don't claim to be an authority on anything.
    Just a consumer that's sharing my research and views. I don't know why you are promoting a company that doesn't provide specs yet charges so much for their cables. I see a lot of fluff on their site but little substance. Never mind that they are cosmetically challenged (IMO)
    The fact that you suggesting a product that costs 50 % more than the budget is even more reason to challenge your recommendation.

15. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

I guess because you have posted 412 times makes your opinion more worthy?

16. Grady Hollums

Ok, hold out your hands and take a chill pill!!!
    It is cables, while they are very important they are not worth bashing over, so just drop it and realize there are more important things in life.
    Thank you for the help and assistance, and have a wonderful week!
    ------------------
    In Him,
    GH
    My Home
    Theater

17. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Huh ?
    Think we were just having a little light hearted discussion not an argument. if you want an argument I think there is a topic posted here on the benefits of power cables:) Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think anyone here needs to take a chill pill.

18. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Mark I guess we'll agree to disagree on our views on cables but I will say that both chip and I recomended the catcables because we both have tried their products and found them to be of exceptional quality both sonically and in build quality. I have yet to be dissapointed in one of their products and can assure you they are not your typical radio shack cable [​IMG]
    As for a little back ground on the owner of catcables he's the co owner of another respected HT discussion board (HTGuide) and a long time moderator on several other boards. He's also the owner of some very nice HT gear incl. Lexicon, Sonus faber, proceed etc and picks his toys with the utmost care. From what I know of Doug the word anal comes to mind when it comes to detail and perfection. Its this reason I think that he started up his own cable company and from the products I've purchased they are all built with the highest quality parts and with extreme attention to detail that I would expect from him. To put it another way if he says he's proud of a cable he built I know it will be near flawless. Obviously his cables aren't for everyone but for those of us that demand the utmost in quality catcables is where many of us turn to.
    ------------------
    http://www.mts.net/~glendap/
    [Edited last by Andrew Pratt on November 06, 2001 at 09:05 PM]

19. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Yup, we disagree :)
    I have heard of him and his cables. Just wouldnt buy from a company that didnt post specs on his web site. No matter what equipment he owned or if he was an upstanding guy. Sort of like buying a car without knowing what was under the hood or how it performed. Specs, if accurate are all we can go buy after all. Just my lowly opinion.
    Thanks for the interesting discussion though.

20. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Mark:
    Welcome to our world!
    It seems that you have never tried CatCables nor BetterCables in your own system. Therefore, I am dumbfounded as to how you can make and publish a derisive decision on them. I have a personal, from afar, history with the owner of CatCables. Simply, at one time, Lex, the owner of Catcables, offered to buy some speakers and then ship them to me at no profit to himself because I was too sick to come into Tennessee to pick them up myself... Although I decided to not take this stranger up on his offer, I did contact the dealer who already knew of Lex's offer and was waiting for payment to follow through on that...! Remember, he was helping me for NO profit!
    Anyway, if you really love music playback, you might want to check out the advantages that nice cables can/might make in your system?
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!