1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Need cable help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris.dillon, Mar 12, 2002.

1. chris.dillon

chris.dillon Auditioning

I have a couple of questions, before I purchase my cables.

- I have a Panny 42" which has RGB connections (5) for input, but my Onkyo 898 receiver only output (3). Since I am running them in the wall should I run the 5 so it is there?

- Second question is that my DVD has both optical out and 5.1 output. I am suppose to hook up both of these?

Thanks for any help,

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

CYA = Cover Your ASS...Run the 5, but research the products at both ends to see what NEEDS the 5, then decide.

You can use both if you want to switch between the 2, but only one is necessary.

- C

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Chris,

First, welcome to the Forum!

I sounds like your Panasonic has component video inputs (the RGB you mentioned), while your receiver has only composite video outputs (typically a yellow jack.) If so, you would want to connect the yellow jack on the TV to the yellow jack on the receiver.

The other white and red jacks are for audio left and right.

That said, it might not hurt to go ahead and run the component video cables for future use.

Regarding the DVD player, it depends on what kind of receiver you have. If it is a Dolby Digital receiver, then all you need is the optical out. If the receiver has 5.1 inputs, then you would use those instead.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. chris.dillon

chris.dillon Auditioning

It always helps to read the manual I guess. I sorted out the DVD player and as you suggested the optical is all I needed. I actually have a choice between toslink and digital coax for audio, which should I use or does it make a difference. I heard the toslink can a bit fragile. I just want the best sound.

From what I can figure with the Plasma TV it can take RGB or Component. It only says both work. I was wondering if I should run the 5 or 3 cables. My original plan was to run a 3 line component cable with a second for redundency or future upgrades. Now that I have the TV and have read a bit I'm not sure what to do.

Someone also recommended running a DVI cable for possible future use. However, there seem to be several different types (DVI-I, DVI-D, etc.). Which is the correct cable for Plasma TV's.

Thanks for an assistance,

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

chris, while we may lust here over plasma TVs, might I suggest registering at AV Science forum where they have a specific plasma owners group. But don't forget us at HTF[​IMG]

6. Richard Rowe

Richard Rowe Auditioning

Ok, This probably wont last long here because it points to another forum. However. There is a dedicated industry expert there that responds to cable question promptly and in a very informative way. I do not wish to get spammed for this. I am simply passing on information which may be helpful. So, I can understand if this gets pulled from the forum
    http://63.105.26.35/showthread.php?threadid=99

7. Selden Ball

Selden Ball Second Unit

Selden
    Chris,

You have to run the cables that're appropriate for the equipment that you have or are planning to get. Extras can't hurt, of course.

You need to run 3 coax cables for component video, which is what is generated by DVD players, satellite receivers and some cable TV decoders.

You need to run an s-video cable and maybe a compoosite video cable for your vcr or other video sources. Your receiver doesn't translate from s-video and/or composite into 3wire component video. What goes in is what comes out.

(Some top-of-the-line Pioneer and Kenwood receivers do that video translation, however.)

You need to run 5wire RGBHV if you're going to connect to a computer. Some computer video cards have DVI outputs.

Some video scalers have DVI outputs, too. Most generate either component video or RGB.

I hope this helps a little.

8. tony randall

tony randall Stunt Coordinator

9. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer