What's new

Need buying advice, universal learning remote. (1 Viewer)

Steve Cross

Agent
Hi,
I'm looking for some suggestions for an affordable learning universal remote.
Right now I'm using my onkyo sr600 remote, and it does the job but it is not very user friendly for the rest of the family, the tilting navigate key is agravating, and only has two macro keys.
I'm considering this Link Removed remote for $49 at BB. but I wanted to check here for other ideas first.
Some must haves are:
at least 3 macro keys (prefer more but at least 3)
learning capable.
separate 'guide' and info keys
and a/v switching for the receiver.
I really don't like LCD type remotes .
TYIA
Steve

Vin

Supporting Actor
I had some problems with the RCA RCU810 losing commands that I had programmed.....possibly it was just a bad unit but rather than take a chance with another I returned it and got this Sony instead for $10 more. Well worth it IMO, a great remote! For tons of info on remotes, including the two mentioned here, check out http://remotecentral.com/.
Vin

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at the One For All Cinema 7 (actually there is a new model coming out but I can't recall the model number).
It is around $30.
Then go to www.hifi-remote.com for everything you need to know on how to program it to control your equipment.

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
I'd second the One For All remotes - but make sure the model you buy has the connector in the battery compartment to hook up the JP1 cable. Then you can program the remote from your computer and download everything to the remote. Makes editing macros possible, instead of having to code the whole macro over if you want to make one change.

And check out the 2 web pages listed above as well...

Rob

Steve,

I've been using the Sony model mentioned above by Vin for a few months now and love it. Highly recommended.

Chris

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
this may be out of your budget, but the mx-500 is a great remote. i think it cost me about 140...not sure what it costs now.

check it out at the remotecentral site. also do a search in the tweaking section...lots of recommendations for this one.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I also like the MX-500. It's enormously flexible and adapts comfortably to a wide variety of components.

M.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Steve,

I have the RCU810 and although it gets knocked on this forum, it does very well for someone on a budget. I've never had a problem with it and it has an extremely long battery life. Well worth checking out. If you get it from a best buy type store they have a very liberal return policy so I would recommend trying this remote, the one for all, and the sony since they are all in the same class. If money is no object go for the MX-500 since the pronto is not in the running based on your disliking touch screen. What's your budget for the remote?

If you have any questions about the RCA I'd be happy to answer them.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Another high recommendation for the Home Theater Master MX-500. I also had the SL9000, which served me very well for a few years.

Along with the remote, I put together step by step instructions & troubleshooting suggestions for use by guests, babysitters, inlaws, etc. I downloaded a picture of the remote, then used arrows and numbers to provide instruction.

Larry Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I've read good things about the Home Theater Master and One For All remotes. (it seems the One For All as well as the Radio Shack remotes are great for people on a budget).
I have the Sony RM-VL900 and I'm very happy with it. It isn't much more expensive than the cheap remotes and is a good looking, quality piece that will do what you are looking for.
Larry

Steve Cross

Agent
Thank you everyone for all the input!
I read up on all the remotes suggested in this post, and really liked all of them, especially the mx 500, but the rca has one thing that i had to keep in consideration, and that is, the button placement is very similar to my other remotes, especially the cable remote, and other than the play, stop, ff, etc being in an awkward place I don't see the others having more than i need.
Thanks again
Steve

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Steve...I was in the same position you are in six months ago. I did a fair amount of research - here on HTF and elsewhere - and decided on the Sony that Vin links to above. One of the wisest purchases I've ever made; couldn't be happier with it.
Good luck,
Jon

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Are there any B&M stores carrying the new One For All 8810/8811 remotes? I did happen across an 8910 at Circuit City, but they wanted $59.99 for it. That's quite insane, considering that it sells for not much more than $20 online.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks