What's new

Need buying advice (replacing 12 year old TV) (1 Viewer)

Steve Cross

Agent
Hello,
I'm thinking of replacing my 12+ year old RCA 25" TV.
I've scanned threw the posts here, and after reading a few I have to admit I'm a bit embarrassed about posting where most of the topics are about $2000-$10,000+ display :b
I've only around $400 to spend (this will have to cover tax and ext. warenty).
The TV I have now is pretty good, meaning no blockiness or fuzz, but after watching a few dvds on my friends new TV I started to notice how bland, and colorless mine is :frowning:
My friend has a JVC AV32320 , his is 32" and I have'nt the money for it, but they do have a 27" version (JVC AV27S33)with a few more features and alot less costly ($299).
I've looked at the one I want at CC and it looked only OK, (compaired to my RCA), but I could'nt really adjust it to much because of the bright lighting, ect...
Also the set I'm referring to has S-Video, Composite, and Standerd Component inputs (which my receiver has inputs for all three types).
The receiver between my devices and TV is an Onkyo TX-SR600 with a 5.1 speaker set, so audio is not a factor here.
question 1: will I be able to use all three input types from my devices to the receiver to TV (i.e. dvd component, digital cable and DivX box S-Video, and vcr composite)?
question 2: is Standard Component input going to be a noticeable improvement over composite? and will adjusting the component input throw off the adjustments to my other input types greatly?
question 3: Is there a better TV with these features (if they are in fact better features) in my price range?
TYIA
Steve

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
• Why not connect your DVD player directly to the monitor's component-video input? Better picture.

• Yes, component video is noticeably superior to composite video on a 32-inch set. Don't even think about composite video for DVDs. Not sure what you mean in the second part of the question.

• You might consider the Toshiba 27A41. Nice set. Even better would be a set that performs the 16:9 mode from the user menu (the Sony WEGAs, for example).

Steve Cross

Agent
Thanks Jack,

So, going straight from the dvd player to the TV for video is better than using the receiver? and if so I just run the audio from the dvd player to the receiver?

What I meant in the second part of question 2 is, if I use Avia to calibrate the display settings (Avia > dvd player > TV [using component connection]), that means the TV will be adjusted with the best type of input (different than my other devices using s-vid, and composite) what im asking is will setting the display using component inputs effect the quality of the other inputs signal?

I'm probably botching this all up... Does anyone know what what I'm asking? I'm not even sure if I understand :b

Thanks again

Steve

Jon Krangel

Stunt Coordinator
While Jack is right, I don't think you should have a problem feeding your DVD player through your reciever. The 600 has 50 mhz (might be more) component video switching bandwith. That is WAY more than one needs to pass a 480i picture to your set (I think 480i needs roughly 10-15 mhz).

As far as calibration, why not do what I did? I calibrated my DVD player connected to my component video inputs first, then I used a seperate picture mode to calibrate it when connected to the s-video jack on the tv. This yeilds the best of both worlds, and since your reciever converts composite to s-video, I wouldn't even bother calibrating a composite input.

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, I have the same JVC 32" tv your friend does and it is a great tv. I would think the 27" would perform as well as the 32". I would seriously consider looking at the Samsung Dynaflat flat screen 27". They have component and s-video inputs and do the anamorphic squueze from the remote.The JVC's will also do the squeeze but you have to go into the service menu and manually change your adjustments.The Samsung may be a little above your price range but you can get an Akai clone at Sams Club for $349-$379 depending on the model. I bought one for the bedroom and love it. It's the same tv as the Dynaflat but rebadged as an Akai. After some minor tweaking (the factory preset levels are awful), it has a phenomenal picture with dvd, better than my JVC. It is very highly regarded in this forum and i don't think you will find a better tv in your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks