Need Bookshelf size Speakers for 1/2 mus. & 1/2 HT in $500.00 range a pair

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

So what are your thoughts? I know there is a similar post on this but I wanted to add a few more specifics. I will be powering with a denon 3802 or similar quality receiver. Keep in mind that I also want a center channel that will blend seamlesly with the front and rears (I will most likely get an aditional pair of the same bookshelves for the rears). Right now I am leaning towards taking a chance on a svs sub to seal the deal unless something will match better with whatever speaks I end up getting. I apreciate your opinions and advice as I am a rookie to this and obviously want to get good gear if I am going to lay down the money. This is a great forum by the way. People are very helpful and friendly and most seem to be very knowledgeabale.

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Amongst your other auditions, you might consider the Swans Diva 2.1 bookshelf speakers paired with a matching C3 center channel speaker. Check out the Unofficial Diva FAQ or perhaps even consider requesting a free audition from a nearby Diva owner.
    OOOPPPS! I see from the other thread you started that you already know about the Divas.
    HTH,
    --Steve (Diva and SVS owner)

3. Dan_Jones

Dan_Jones Stunt Coordinator

I'd consider the Axiom Audio M22Ti's with a VP150.

4. Drew_G

Drew_G Auditioning

I have the 3802 w/ Paradigm Studio/20s and the Studio CC. Everything sounds great. The 20s in laminate cost $650 retail but it is easy to get at least 10% off bringing it to $585. If you try ebay you can find them for less than $500. The CC is a fantastic center and is a perfect match.

5. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

Keeping within Paradigm, a pair of Mini-Monitors will set you back a little more than $300. Add at CC-370 at about the same price and you've got a full front soundstage for roughly $600. Great little speakers, those Mini's are.

6. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think you'd be happy with the JBL S38s if you are starting off.

Bestpriceaudiovideo.com sells them new for $279

You could also get the S26 as rear, and S-center and you won't be far over your budget of $500. (you'll have 5 speakers)

You can look for exotic speaker dealers and audition the higher priced models like I did. I didn't hear a huge difference so I went for the value choice. If I chose a different brand, I liked the Paradigm Studio 40s but those are much higher priced.

7. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Triangle Titus 202s -- check out my long post a little down the page.

8. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I second the endorsement of Paradigm Studio 20's. Get them in laminate with a discount, or get them used. I have them powered by the 3801 and they are outstanding for both music and HT.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
  10. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

I have the same setup you are looking at. I have axiom M3's front and surround with a VP100. I have a SVS 20-39PC for sub. I have been nothing but pleased with my system. The M3's have great high's and image well. Two pair of M3's and a VP100 was 630.00USD shipped from audioshop.on.ca. I highly recomend the speakers, plus mark at audioshop is very helpful.

11. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Kef Q1 or the Triangle Titus.

12. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Dan's suggestion sounds sweet!!!