1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

need bicycle advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Illingworth, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Jeremy Illingworth

Jeremy Illingworth Supporting Actor

I have decided to get a bicycle instead of an exercise bike but I don't really know much about them. I used to ride one to work years ago and I know I don't want a road type bike because I like to go over curbs and other minor obstacles. I'm going to be keeping it mostly on the pavement but I hear there is some good off roading around here. Naturally, I'm broke so money is an object; I am willing to spend enought so its not junk. Whats the finest cheapest bike I can buy?

jeremy

2. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

If you know what you are looking for you can get some VERy good deals on used bikes. Problem is, if you aren't sure what to look out for you might get a lemon as well. I was a bike mechanic and racer when I was in college, but alas those days are long past. How much are you looking to spend? I must admit that I'm not abreast on current bike technology, but I may be able to throw ot a few suggestions.

3. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy, check out the following Website, it was very helpful a few years ago to get back on the bike again.
    Mountain Bike Review [​IMG]
    * think you would want a Hardtail type bike?

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

You might want a hybrid bike- thinner than a full-on mountain bike, but strong enough for street riding.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ooohhh, a bike thread...[​IMG] Count me in. Jeremy, me thinks a good starter bike that you can actually use off road will run you about $450-$500 for a new bike with a front shock (aka a hardtail). I helped a friend get a Kona Kula for about $500 or so that was a closeout. That's what I'd suggest you to find. Being winter right now you can hopefully find a closeout 2001 model that's your size.
    As far as type, I personally think you'll do much better getting a true mountain bike and not a hybrid. In my experience, a hybrid is a road bike for people who do not like the drop bars. If you take your bike anywhere off-road or do anykind of urban riding (like the BMX guys), a true mountain bike is the way to go. You can easily buy semi-slicks or full slicks if you're on the road. I commute on my mountain bike in the winter time and alternative with my road bike otherwise. I have a pair of Panaracer Mach SS/SK semislicks on them since part of my commute is on the road and the rest is off-road. You'll find that parts and maintainance is easier on a mountain bike than a hybrid and is much better for off-roading.
    I'd suggest to go around to any local bike shop (LBS) and try to find if they have any leftover hardtails they're willing to deal, feel free to haggle a little, don't expect much though as their margin is not much on the bike itself. Get yourself sized right too, make sure your handlebar reach is good for you, don't worry too much about standover height, that's a big myth, as long as you have some clearence, the top tube length is more important as that can give you an idea if the bike a good handler or fireroad cruiser. A shorter effective top tube length (you've got to include the stem length and angle too) will be a more twichy bike which is good in technical single track, but can be real iffy in the rocky sections (especially in the east coast US) whereas a longer top tube length is typically a faster fireroad cruiser and stable bike. Being from Canada, you might try to see if you can get a deal on a lowend Rocky Mountain. A Canadian company which I hear sells cheaper in Canada since it's domestic. They make awesome bikes too. I have a friend who has a full suspension Rocky Mountain and he loves it. It's light and made very well.
    Anyway, don't worry too much about the material, although cost wise, a steel bike may be cheaper and you can always bend steel. I've had my rear deraileur hanger bend on my recently, and I simply just took a wrench and bent it back and then retuned my rear derailleur. If you bend alumimum too much, it'll snap and then you'll need a new hanger, assuming it's replacable in the first place.
    Component wise, STX or higher is fine, in fact for $500, you should be able to find a bike with an STX-RC front and a Deore LX rear derailleur but if you go into the $400 range, it'll most likely be STX or Alivio. You'll have to see whether you like Rapidfire (Shimano) or GripShift type shifters, ask the bike shop to show you both and see what you like.
    Good luck and have fun....
    Jay

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I just thought of another suggestion, try to find any GT or Schwinn dealers around your area. A couple months ago, Pacific (the cheapo dept. store bike brand) bought out the parent company of GT/Schwinn and now they own two very nice brands who weren't doing so well financially recently. Needless to say there are alot of people with GT/Schwinn owners wondering what they are going to do with their warrentee. However, the bikes LBSs have now are pre-Pacific and should be very worthy of your consideration and should be really well discounted. I mean I see some very nice disk braked GT hardtails going for $700 or so, which is almost $400 to $500 less than what they would go for at full price so if you can find any of these dealers, you might find leftovers going for insane prices.

Jay

7. Allen W

Allen W Stunt Coordinator

I 2nd Jay's thinking on buying a mountain bike. A hybrid is a lighterweight (often more fragile) and often does not have as durable a set of components. The first time you go off road on a hybrid it is easy to bend a wheel out of line or break something.
    It is much easier to take a mountain bike on the road, by just putting road tires on it. Getting it to fit right is important and I would get a skilled bike shop person to help with that. Buying used can be a good way to go also. If you a buy a bike with front suspension it can make going over the curbs and riding trails fun
    I went on a great ride today!! It was 68 degrees in February!![​IMG]

8. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
  9. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Better yet, I've learned not so long ago that you can get Breaking Away on DVD now!!! The really funny thing is I've never seen it and I am probably going to buy it just for the fact that it has bikes in it. I've read in some cycling forum that there's a scene where the main character is like chasing this truck at 60mph or so... in the middle chainring no less, that's got to be worth the price of the DVD...
    [​IMG]
    Jay