Need Better Speakers and Sound Card

Discussion in 'Computers' started by James Edward, Mar 12, 2003.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I just got turned on to a great internet music station. Now that I have something to listen to, my bottom of the line H/K speakers do not cut it. Please give some suggestions on computer speaker upgrades, and I plead ignorance- should I get new sound card too? If so, which one?

I don't know if this matters: I have a DSL line for connectivity.

I would prefer the 'bang for the buck' end of things- the Paradigm/PSB version of computer speakers. Thanks very much.

2. Kris McLaughlin

Kris McLaughlin Stunt Coordinator

James, you might want to consider picking up a pair of "real" bookshelf speakers instead of the little "computer" speakers sold at computer places. I used to have the Creative 4-point surround with subwoofer, then I upgraded to a pair of fairly inexpensive (Cerwin-Vega)bookshelf speakers, and the difference is tremendous. Real mid-bass, clearer music, all around much better sound than the tiny little speakers I had before.

Just something you might want to consider, as I know that computer speakers these days are not cheap. I think you can get far more bang for your buck with some inexpensive HT-type speakers. I picked up a 2nd-hand JVC amp to power my speakers, you might want to do the same.

Cheers,

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    For a sound card, the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz has been getting rave reviews and the price is right...

I have a Hercules Fortissimo II i got for like $20USD ($30 CAD actually) and for the price, it works great. I'd recommend trying out the Hercules line of soundcards.

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

The Hercules Fortissimo series of cards have been well reviewed; same with the Audigy2 cards from Creative.

5. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Well- there it is. I'm going to J&R tomorrow, so I'll look for the Hercules Fortissimo card, and as I'm a HT hobbyist, I have just the pair of speakers for the job lying around. They are the RCA Linaeum tweeter speaker sold at Radio Shack. That should be sweet.

Thanks for the help.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

btw - i also dig internet radio. if i may ask, what station did you find?

my personal fave is www.radioio.com - great stuff if you're into that genre (adult eclectic alternative)

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I just want a card I can connect digital output to my receiver. Thats all. COAX or TOSLINK. I'm using Matrox CINEPLAYER for my software DVD player.

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    There are plenty of cheap cards that have digital out...

There are some generic cards that use the CMI 8738 chipset that are able to output a digital optical/Coaxial bitstream for cheap ($15-$20):

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/av515m.html

i was planning on gettin gthis card (comes with a 'daughter board' that contains the digital outputs) before i got the Hercules Fortissimo

Edit: I just realized its sound out there.. well they sell the AudioExcel card elsewhere for about the same price. The CMI chipset is also used in a huge variety of other sound cards too (its real versatile, it can support 2, 3, 6 ch. sound, so alot of generic makers use it)

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

But do these sound cards truly do a "digital passthrough" leaving the DD and DTS bitstream fully intact? Or do they downmix or resample the signal? I just want pure bitstream from the DVD to send to my receiver just like my standalone DVD player does.

thanx

[​IMG]

10. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I didn't realize any card did downsampling through an Optical Out port. Once I hear some confirmation that this card sends the stream out unmodified, I'll be buying one too. I don't need any bells and whistles, just digital sound to my receiver.

Here's a review on the AV515M: http://www.lanaddict.com/review.php?ID=61