Need beginner info on FTPV's.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jereme D, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for some basic info on FPTV's. I've gathered a lot of information here, but nothing geared towards complete beginners.

I have one main question. How big should a toom be before you consider a FPTV? My room is about 15x15. I remember seeing someone on this forum who has a similar sized room with a projector, but I can't remember who.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have a 12x13 room with a FP.

Really the two issue to consider are:

1) Seating distance-- there is a formula to calculate seating distance for particular signals (example, for standard NTSC video, there is a formula to calculate ideal distance based on screen size). Unfortunately I don't know the formula- but have seen it posted here once or twice, so maybe someone can post it again.

2) Throw distance. Every Projector has a different throw distance to achieve a certain screen size. You need to determine your "wish-list" size screen, and then start checking the needed distances for your chosen projectors to see if this can be achieved in the space you have.

Feel free to post any basics questions you have- someone will be happy to help, or at least provide some links which might help you!

-Vince

3. Jereme D

How large is your screen Vince?

Here are some more questions that I have:

Does the projector need to be mounted to a rafter inside the ceiling? My ceiling appears to be some kind of plaster.

How difficult is it to install a FPTV system? Is this something that I can do myself, or would I absolutely need professional help? I'm a fairly technical person. I just need to see some diagrams or instructions otherwise, on paper.

How much would an entry level system cost (both the projector and the screen)? I don't have many thousands to spend. I'd like it to display an accurate 16:9 image.

I watch a LOT of regular TV. I'm assuming that this can't be done with a FPTV. Is that correct?

Is an HTPC a necessity? I've read that it scales the video to the projector's native resolution. Is that Correct? Is there another device that can do this?

I'm sure that I'll think of some more questions later.

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Jereme:

I can answer a few of your questions. First off it depends on what type of front projector you are wanting to get. LCD, DLP, D ILA or CRT. The LCD and DLP projectors are going to be light weight with little set up involved. They also give you greater flexibility when it comes to screen size. You can play around with shooting a picture on the wall that you want your screen and see what is the picture size the best. I have always been told that you want to to set back twice the width or three times the height of your screen.
    A CRT type front projector will weigh a lot more and needs to be set up correctly with adjusting convergence, etc.

If you are looking for a quick and easy set up I would look more into the LCD or DLP type.

Also, video is video so no matter what type of video you feed into it, ie: standard TV, DVD, Video Tape, etc. the projector will display it.

Parker

6. Jereme D

Thanks for all of the great info! I have a lot more research to do now.

Jereme