What's new

Need beginner info on FTPV's. (1 Viewer)

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking for some basic info on FPTV's. I've gathered a lot of information here, but nothing geared towards complete beginners.

I have one main question. How big should a toom be before you consider a FPTV? My room is about 15x15. I remember seeing someone on this forum who has a similar sized room with a projector, but I can't remember who.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I have a 12x13 room with a FP.

Really the two issue to consider are:

1) Seating distance-- there is a formula to calculate seating distance for particular signals (example, for standard NTSC video, there is a formula to calculate ideal distance based on screen size). Unfortunately I don't know the formula- but have seen it posted here once or twice, so maybe someone can post it again.

2) Throw distance. Every Projector has a different throw distance to achieve a certain screen size. You need to determine your "wish-list" size screen, and then start checking the needed distances for your chosen projectors to see if this can be achieved in the space you have.

Feel free to post any basics questions you have- someone will be happy to help, or at least provide some links which might help you!

-Vince

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
How large is your screen Vince?

Here are some more questions that I have:

Does the projector need to be mounted to a rafter inside the ceiling? My ceiling appears to be some kind of plaster.

How difficult is it to install a FPTV system? Is this something that I can do myself, or would I absolutely need professional help? I'm a fairly technical person. I just need to see some diagrams or instructions otherwise, on paper.

How much would an entry level system cost (both the projector and the screen)? I don't have many thousands to spend. I'd like it to display an accurate 16:9 image.

I watch a LOT of regular TV. I'm assuming that this can't be done with a FPTV. Is that correct?

Is an HTPC a necessity? I've read that it scales the video to the projector's native resolution. Is that Correct? Is there another device that can do this?

I'm sure that I'll think of some more questions later.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Is an HTPC a necessity? I've read that it scales the video to the projector's native resolution. Is that Correct? Is there another device that can do this?
Necessity? No.

Most projectros are designed to display higher resolution images (like computer data or HDTV)... so they have the ability (and are often set up ideally for) these higher rate signals.

Most projectors have NTSC inputs (for regular signals like DVD, TV, VHS, etc). On digital projectors (the process is a bit different for CRT), these inputs are then processed for display and scaled to the resolution of the projector (done internally by the Projector). However, on most projectors, this function sucks. It creates jaggied edges, weird interlacing errors, soft picture- generally crappy results.

As a result, most people want to use an outboard device to process the siganl, and feed that to the projector.
Outboard devices usually do a better job of processing the image.

So, there are several devices that can do this. A regular "line doubler" just takes the interlaced NTSC signal and makes it progressive. For most digital projectors, this isn't enough (as they will still take that progressive signal and scale it to their native resolution)-- but doubling is often good enough for CRT projectors...

So, for digital projectors, the key choice is usually to get a "scaler". The scaler device allows you to feed at NTSC input, and output one of several resolutions: making it so you can match your projectors native input rate. Scalers are expensive however. The entry level models (Quadscan, Crystal Image) cost $2500.

Enter HTPC. HTPC can offer custom resoltuion outputs, like scalers, and do it for much better prices. The good Radeon based HTPC systems will beat the video quality of a entry level scaler (and copete with $10,000 units) for a price under $1500! Now you see the appeal...

The bottom line is, to get the most out of projector- you need a good processing device to scale the image. The internal solutions on most projectors are simply horrible. When you start looking at $ to performance ratios, HTPC looks better and better...

Hope that helps

Vince

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Jereme:

I can answer a few of your questions. First off it depends on what type of front projector you are wanting to get. LCD, DLP, D ILA or CRT. The LCD and DLP projectors are going to be light weight with little set up involved. They also give you greater flexibility when it comes to screen size. You can play around with shooting a picture on the wall that you want your screen and see what is the picture size the best. I have always been told that you want to to set back twice the width or three times the height of your screen.
A CRT type front projector will weigh a lot more and needs to be set up correctly with adjusting convergence, etc.

If you are looking for a quick and easy set up I would look more into the LCD or DLP type.

Also, video is video so no matter what type of video you feed into it, ie: standard TV, DVD, Video Tape, etc. the projector will display it.

Parker

Jereme D

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all of the great info! I have a lot more research to do now.

Jereme

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bill scruggs
Recent bookmarks