What's new

need basic information about RPTV (1 Viewer)

Michael_Li

Auditioning
Hello, I am new to home theater...I have now idea about RPTV, the only thing I know is it has big screen. can someone point me a link about RPTV, and buying guide for a RPTV, e.g. what are must have functions? what are optional or nice to have functions?

I got some questions too:

1: I heard RPTV uses a lamp in the big box, so how long can this lamp last? i.e. watch 6 hours TV per day.

2: the light is projected on the screen, but through what? a TFT or CRT screen? which is better?

3: my major video source is regular cable TV, so I guess the signal is 4:3, sometimes I watch DVD which I can consider it is 16:9 format. But later on I may switch to HDTV (either Rogers or satellite), so do you guys think 4:3 is ok for me or 16:9 is better?

4: people here are talking about HDTV, how about DVD, DVD is not HD? HDTV's resolution is higher than DVD's resolution? What's DVD's resolution?

5: what are the functions that a HD RPTV must have? what are optional or nice to have functions for a HD RPTV?

6: if I go with direct view HDTV, TOSHIBA's 36' 16:9 is about $3000 (canadian dollar), what do you guys think? any larger screen availabe for a resonable price? does it worth the money?

7: if I go with HD RPTV, for same price I can get a 47' SAMSUNG HD RPTV...what the best brand of a RPTV? is samsung reliable? or other big names like SONY (they are $$$), PANNY, TOSHIBA, HITACHI?

8: if I watch regluar 4:3 TV program, which 16:9 RPTV has the best stretch model/algorithm?

9: what's burn-in..? I know people worrys about it.

I have tons of questions, hope you guys can help me out!!!
Thanks a lot!!!

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Michael:

To be fair., some of your questions might require a small book to accurately and fairly answer. The person who advised you to lurk was giving the best advice. And, search, using keywords. The questions have been discussed, in the past.

I will do my best, in the meantime... in shorthand.

>>>1: I heard RPTV uses a lamp in the big box, so how long can this lamp last? i.e. watch 6 hours TV per day. 2: the light is projected on the screen, but through what? a TFT or CRT screen? which is better? >>3: my major video source is regular cable TV, so I guess the signal is 4:3, sometimes I watch DVD which I can consider it is 16:9 format. But later on I may switch to HDTV (either Rogers or satellite), so do you guys think 4:3 is ok for me or 16:9 is better? >>6: if I go with direct view HDTV, TOSHIBA's 36' 16:9 is about $3000 (canadian dollar), what do you guys think? any larger screen availabe for a resonable price? does it worth the money? >>7: if I go with HD RPTV, for same price I can get a 47' SAMSUNG HD RPTV...what the best brand of a RPTV? is samsung reliable? or other big names like SONY (they are $$$), PANNY, TOSHIBA, HITACHI? >>8: if I watch regluar 4:3 TV program, which 16:9 RPTV has the best stretch model/algorithm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks