Need Banana Clips

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Don

Don Second Unit

for my Denon AVR-3200 plus what i'll like to do is to be able to solder the speaker wire to the banana clips. anyone have any suggestions as to what brand clips to get and what kind of 60/40 solder is good for doing this also how many watts should the soldering iron be. Don,

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What’s wrong with the type with the clamping screws?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Rather than Tin/Lead based solder, Silver Solder would be preferred if you decide to go that route. The faster you can get the heat on the wire and connector, the less chance of you melting the insulation. A good 60W iron should suffice. I use a Weller variable temp at 450 degrees, however that's a bench style that I have had for quite a while and wouldn't spend the money just for a few jobs.

I'm removing the cables enough on my system to justify solder over the clamp style Wayne, I certainly won't ever have the wires pull out of the plug.

4. Don

Don Second Unit

ok i want to use banana plugs and not spades because the spades are not U.L. listed for safety. i figured i'll use banana plugs and yes i do have binding posts on both the receiver and speakers. Don,