Need AV Receiver Advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark Thiessen, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Mark Thiessen

Mark Thiessen Auditioning

I'm now getting into HT because I bought a house that had 4 inwall Klipsch-250 speakers installed. Now its time to buy a DVD player and AV Receiver. I was looking at the Sony DE895 until I read this forum, now I'm looking at Denon 1804. When I do a Crutchfield compare, its hard to find a match for the DE895 specs at that price, but I think I'll stay away because of what I've read here.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Mark: I'm a Denon receiver fan, so this isn't the most objective reply.

I think you would be very happy with the 1804. Klipsch speakers are traditionally easy to drive and there are several happy Denon/Klipsch owners here at htf.

As for a DVD player, to me, the best bargain out at this point is the Pioneer DV-563A. You can find it at Crutchfield (and also Best Buy) for around $180. IMO, it's a very good buy. It plays regular DVDs quite well. But better yet, it also plays the newer high resolution SACDs and DVD-Audio discs.

Put these 2 machines together and you'll have a great setup...

3. Mark Thiessen

For DVD, I'm looking at the Sony DVP-NC685V Changer at the moment. I'd like a changer and it isn't much more for the convenience. Any thoughts?
    One more thing, Silver vs. Black: which one won't look dated in 5 years? Which is more popular?

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

And at least for now, there aren't any universal (DVD, DVD-Audio, SACD) changers. So, if a changer is the way you want to go, the Sony is probably a good choice. I have had several Sony CD and DVD players over tha last several years and all have performed very well. (I don't recommend Sony DE series receivers though (as you've already discerned, there are several of us that feel that way.)

Black or Silver? Heck, I've been around long enough that I have went through the black/silver thing a couple of times. (Yes, I am officially an old fart...) Anyway, after having things both ways, I think I prefer black. It seems to "blend" a bit better. (But silver certainly looks more expensive. [​IMG] )

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have ran the 1804 for the past few weeks and have been very pleased. It fits my taste just fine. I run B&W's so I cant imagine you having any problem driving Klips.

6. Mark Thiessen

Thanks for the input. All very good suggestions.

7. deryck_s

deryck_s Auditioning

im just throwing out a suggestion here, have you considered any onkyo products? bang for the buck wise they are A/WESOME values, especially ts-sr601 (449-499 RETAIL) you get great sound, s-vid upconversion, 2-zone built in(if ya would use it) some may say it sounds a little flat (more neutral to me) but that only involves lighter (more symphonic) types of music. awesome HT sound and features.

good luck just tryin to get something other than dennon out there (not a big fan rather go with yamahas)