What's new

Need audiophile help! (without audiophile budget!) (1 Viewer)

Ben Hausmann

Auditioning
I bought an Integra receiver (DTR-5.1 and dvd player (DPC-6.1) in 2000. The dvd player has never been quite right. I got a great deal from a friend working at a home theatre store and just never got around to returning it. The tray never stays open when you eject it so you have to add and remove dvds at Ninja speed. I know this is minor but after 5 years it may have finally pushed me too far. I began thinking about after seeing players that sounded good going for quite cheap. My question is: how much would I have to spend to be at least at the same level, if not better, than I am with the Integra? Any specific suggestions would be great. I don't need SACD or HD stuff and I really only need a single disc player as this is strictly a dvd player. I only wanted to spend about 200 so I'm not sure this is even feasible. Thanks for any and all help--I'm not a techno kind of guy so really appreciate the assistance.

SimiA

Second Unit
I'll bet your hand eye coordination has greatly improved!:D :D
You don't mention your display. It might help if we had that info.
Vb

Ben Hausmann

Auditioning
My TV is a 36'' inch Sony. I don't have the model number as I am at work but it was also purchased in 2000--no HD or anything special. Thanks again.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ben,

As I stated in your other thread, you won’t have a problem finding a good DVD player in the $200 range. Prices have dropped considerably since you got your Onkyo five years ago.

While silver models are becoming more popular, here is no shortage of black DVD players. You can still get them from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, to name a few. I suggest you do a some research and find a few candidates in that price range from the manufacturers you’re interested in. Then you can go to Audioreview.com and see what other owners have to say about them. Maybe that will help you make a decision.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ben Hausmann

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. I have done a fair amount of research including reading audioreviews. Unfortunately, there is sometimes limited or completely conflicting info bewteen sites and people so I extend my research as wide as possible. I have looked at a bunch of players and it seems like Yamaha and Onkyo offer the most player for around my $200 budget but only in dvd changers--Yamaha C6760 or Onkyo CP702. Any opinion on either of these players would be very appreciated as well as any other options--especially a single player with some nicer audio features in that price range. The single dvd player offerings from both Onkyo and Yamah in this price range seem to lack the features that these two have--is that incorrect? Again, thank you all for any and all help.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

He can only view 480i.

Toshibas are usually excellent in 480i. You can get the well-received 3950 and 3960 for under $100 at all the big chain stores.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I am sure 480i wont disappoint and he will be set when he gets a new display.

he asked to spend $200 or so and I dont see a mention of needing only 480i.

so Ben 480p is an option you dont want in a player ?

lol.... rob!

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Make sure you get SACD and DVD-A capable player. If I were you, I would also get a 480p or even an up converting player because when you get another display, you will won't have to get another DVD player. If you are about 3-5 years from getting a new display, then a 480i player makes more sense.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
True but I find that Sony players produce the best 480I image of the bunch. Panasonic is a close second.

Personally I'd get something decent like the 975 or even the 775 and then when you do get your HD display, get a HD DVD player. I figure 2-3 years we'll see a good player and the format war will have sorted itself out by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks