Need Audio Components Advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris_Coburn, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Chris_Coburn

Chris_Coburn Auditioning

I recently purchase a Sony 43" RPTV, and I am looking to add a receiver and at least a 6.1 system. I was originally looking at the STR-DE985/S for a couple of reasons, the 6.1 capability at a reasonable price, and the silver color to match the TV.

Also was considering the SA-VE535 speaker system and adding a sixth satellite that matches for the rear center. One reason for this is, I would really like to find surrounds that are relatively small and white or silver in color (at my wife's request).

But after reading a few threads I am beginning to question my selection? Is there anyone that could suggest an HT set in this price range?

Receiver (6.1 at least) - $300-$450
    Speakers & Subwoofer (6.1 at least) - $300-$400

2. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

You might think about adding two speakers for back surrounds instead of just one. With a 6.1 receiver, you can connect them in series.

The Kenwood VR-6060 or VR-6070 (which I have) are nice and are in your price range. But I don't know how they compare with the other receivers you're considering. There are new lines of low end Kenwoods and Pioneers due out this month -- don't know about prices.