What's new

Need Audio Components Advice (1 Viewer)

Chris_Coburn

Auditioning
I recently purchase a Sony 43" RPTV, and I am looking to add a receiver and at least a 6.1 system. I was originally looking at the STR-DE985/S for a couple of reasons, the 6.1 capability at a reasonable price, and the silver color to match the TV.

Also was considering the SA-VE535 speaker system and adding a sixth satellite that matches for the rear center. One reason for this is, I would really like to find surrounds that are relatively small and white or silver in color (at my wife's request).

But after reading a few threads I am beginning to question my selection? Is there anyone that could suggest an HT set in this price range?

Receiver (6.1 at least) - $300-$450
Speakers & Subwoofer (6.1 at least) - $300-$400

JamieS

Stunt Coordinator
I can't really give you a 6.1 speaker set at $300 to $400 as that is a fairly low price range. JBL has a 5.1 speaker system in that range but maybe someone else in the speaker forum can help.

Lots of reciever choices in this range. Check the comparison chart at the start of the thread. Just off top of my head Denon 1803 would be worth a look. Good build quality, 80 wpc (clean Denon watts not cheap beand x) good sound. Only downside is no preouts if you ever do decide to go to bogger system and external amps. Check it out.

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris,

One thing you might look at is the JBL NSP1 set. It has been discontinued for the NSPIIs. It is a five speaker set and doesn't come with a sub. Harmon stores on ebay are selling them fairly cheap. I just bought a set for my daughter for $200 including shipping. They are new in the box. Eventually, I'll pick her up a sub and what I've been reading is that many people are recommending a Sony sub that you can pick up for about $100. That would leave a $100 to pick up an extra speaker for the back.

Good luck,

Phil

Chris_Coburn

Auditioning
Thank for the reply posts.

I looked at some other receivers in the same price range. I have abondoned the whole Silver requirement, The location of the receiver is somewhat out of sight anyway so I now feel that it just isn't as important. Besides the black actually I think will make it less noticable.

Anyway... I am thinking of going with the Onkyo SR600. A local electronics store (HH Gregg) is selling them for $399, which is about the best price that I could find anywhere. This model is pretty comparable to a few others in the same price range (Denon 1803, Panny Hk200, Pionner 811?)

If anyone has any comments on the Onkyo reciever I would be glad to hear them.

I will most likely go with the Sony speaker system though, it is just about the only set in my budget that I could find with six matching silver/white satellites. Etronics.com has them in stock for $299.99, but I had to order the 6th from Crutchfield.com for $79.00, shipped.

Which will put me right around my $800-$850 price range that I was planning.

This forum rocks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks