What's new

Need assistance on new Receiver to add Atmos (1 Viewer)

Volcomstone4u

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan
My setup is Onkyo TX-NR626 2-RTI8, 1-CSI3, and 2-RTI A3s(I am currently between Subs after the last one died).
I have been having a lot of HDMI issues and I know this can be repaired by Onkyo, but it also gives me a reason to upgrade my system to an Atmos capable receiver, and the other reason is I just purchased an OLEDLG65C8.

I am looking for advice on
- a receiver to give me the 5.1.2 by replacing the bookshelfs with ceiling speakers or add them to it and get 7.1.2
- 2 additional ceiling speakers for atmos.
My budget is $500 ish for a receiver, and $200 ish for 2 additional speakers, and $200 ish for a sub.

I have been thoroughly underwhelmed by the MultiEQ calibration, as I always have to have it all channel to hear any type of
dialog, so im hoping the new receiver will fix that issue too.

My other alternative is to sell it all and get an Atmos HTIB OnkyoHT-S7800, Focal Sib Evo etc..
Suggestions?

Last edited:

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
I'm certainly not an expert on receivers, but when B&H had a great deal on the Onkyo TX-NR787, I decided that it was time to get height channels etc and replace my (year 2002) Pioneer THX Ultra 2 Receiver.

I like the height channels with the new receiver -- They add something to other 5.1 tracks and not just Atmos.
I did not put the height speakers in the ceiling, and I think that is not a problem -- I'm really happy the way they expand the surround simply by having them placed higher in the room.

Anyway, so far I am really enjoying this "low-cost" receiver. No more 7.1 analog-outs to 7.1 analog-in to get uncompressed audio, and the THX Select Onkyo certainly puts out more than I need for an approximately 2,500 cubic feet room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks