Need assistance in selecting a new Plasma TV

JustinCleveland

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I have a friend (isn't that the way this always starts, a euphemism for me who is too shy to self-identify)... I have a friend who is searching for his first Widescreen television. He is set on a plasma, and wants only 720p (though I have told him regularly to go ahead and futureproof with a 1080p monitor).

He is interesting in the following models:

Samsung 42" Plasma HDTV (HP-T4254)

Pioneer 42" Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV Model: PDP-4271HD

Panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV (TH-42PX77U)

He seems to be searching primarily at Circuit City (which, in his area, is a good store. It's where I got my set from when I lived in Madison, WI).

Does anyone have experience with these listed models, or can make any alternative recommendations in the ~$1,500 price range?

Thanks!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Reaction score
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Panasonic would be my first choice...the Pioneer the 2nd. the samsung would be a distant 3rd.
regards
Gregg
Ps: also consider the panny industrial line

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul
Reaction score
The 50" Panasonic TH-50PX600U can be had for around $1600 delivered from places like Newegg these days. The 600U model just gives you split screen (except on HDMI source input), better speakers, Cable Card slot, and TV Guide Info (received off-the-air signals to get the channel guide for local stations). I bought this model a few months ago, and happy with it. The normal 60U model is actually tougher to find in stock as most places have liquidated their stock from last year.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
The latest generation of Pioneer plasmas started showing up in the retail chain last week and are supposedly superior in PQ to just about everything else that's currently available. I've been a big fan of Panasonic plasmas, but from what I've read, the new line from Poineer now offers the best black level and shadow detail of any flat panel, and has some new image processing that significantly improves the display of motion. Of course, there will be a small price premium for these displays, but they're definitely worth checking out. I think the models are something like PDP-4280 and PDP-5080.

-Steve

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Reaction score
Real Name
Parker
My brother just picked up the new Panasonic TH-50PX75U 50" 720p. Amazon has it for $1688 with free shipping. The image quality is fantastic and the blacks are black. SD is ok but DVD and HD look fantastic on it.

RAF

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Concurring with what others have said here - my general advice to people asking about which Plasma to buy is to, "Go with the Ps". That's like in

Plasma = Pioneer or Panasonic

I've always liked the Pioneer sets the best but you pay a bit of a Premium for extra Performance whereas in my opinion the Panasonics offer bigger bang for the buck. Either one, depending on your budget and Preferences, would make the buyer happy.

Incidentally, my Plasma is a Panasonic for one major reason. It's a 37" model (wall mount in bedroom) and the size was crucial for that particular installation's circumstances. Also, I specifically wanted Plasma for the bedroom (not LCD) because it was a low light situation and I prefer Plasma under those conditions. As far as I know Panasonic was the only one of the two manufacturers that had a 37" set available at the time (2 years ago). I'm not sure if the 37" model is even still available. It's been a wonderful performer.

The only downside has been the realization that I probably paid more for a 37" model in 2005 ($2199) than what a 50" plasma costs today from the same company.

Ah, progress.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
movie_buff