1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need Assistance Hooking Up my Active Speakers to my Receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by ruffianandy, Aug 31, 2018.

1. ruffianandy

ruffianandy Auditioning

andy
    I recently bought the Onkyo TX-8270 to pair with my Klipsch R15-PM's. After hooking up the speakers to the receiver, only the left channel plays the audio. I've troubleshooted using different sources and speaker wire,switching the speaker from left to right on the receiver, nothing. The right channel is the only active speaker so the passiveness of the left and the fact that it works leads me to believe that it has something to do with the right being powered. I tried connecting an RCA to my receiver's Pre Out but that didn't do anything. How would I go about giving sound to the right channel?

2. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
  3. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    I am not sure about powered speakers being hooked up to a power amp. Surprised the pre outs don't work. But then again what are the speakers doing? Mains, surrounds, height channels?

4. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Just noticed it is only 2 channels. So zone 2 for what you have, and get passive speakers for zone 1

5. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Looks like the "preamp" outputs on th ereceiver are for subwoofers only. The Zone 2 outputs are line level and should be able to feed to your active speakers. Those speakers can only accept a line level or digital input, not the power amp output from that receiver.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  6. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
  7. Message #7 of 16 Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    You need to understand the equipment you have, and you simply don't use powered monitors with that receiver, except as zone 2. Receivers have power amps built into them, and your powered monitors also have amps built into them. Take the Onkyo receiver back, you can't use it with your monitors without adding some kind of step-down resistor, which would be an absurd thing to do.

If you just want to play two channel, then you can use something like the Emotiva PT-100, which is essentially a stereo receiver without the amps. EDIT: see my next response.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  8. JohnRice

John
    I took a closer look at the Klipsch R15-PM, and they are specifically designed NOT to be used with a receiver. I don't know how you even connected them to the receiver you have. They have a phono/line input, a headphone, and two digital (optical and usb) inputs.

So...

You can't use the Onkyo and you don't need it. You also don't need the Emotiva preamp I linked to.

What are you trying to accomplish? What features are you trying to add to your speakers?

Bob Bielski likes this.
  9. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Thanks John for stepping in and clearing up this dilemma. As usual you come to help a nuebe. You have always came to the rescue of less educated individuals. Thank you John

10. ruffianandy

ruffianandy Auditioning

andy
    I'd bought the R-15PM's over a year ago only for my PC and turntable but had intended on upgrading gradually when I had enough money to do so. Recently got the Onkyo to complete my record playing setup, as well as hook up to my computer and have network capabilities too. I intend on buying a higher end pair of passive speakers to replace the active ones I've already got. The left channel works considering it's the only speaker out of the pair that isn't powered. I'd like to hook the right channel up to the Zone 2, at least until I make an upgrade. I've connected the speaker wires of the right channel into the Zone 2 but nothing plays. Would I need to setup and RCA connection to have it work?

11. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    after this response I'm out

12. ruffianandy

ruffianandy Auditioning

andy
    apologies

13. JohnRice

John
    Bottom line, you don’t use your speakers with a receiver. You can play LPs directly. You can upgrade to the receiver AND new speakers, but not a receiver with these speakers.

ruffianandy likes this.
  14. ruffianandy

ruffianandy Auditioning

andy
    Thank you for the help, man. I'll play only my cans and left speaker until I can make an upgrade.

15. JohnRice

John
    In that case, there is a workaround to play the speakers from the zone 2 output, but I expect you need to connect a monitor to the hdmi output on the receiver and follow the instructions in the manual to set it up. I can’t provide more specific details than that.

16. ruffianandy

ruffianandy Auditioning

andy
    I'll pick up a long enough HDMI cable tomorrow. Thank you, wouldn't have thought of that.