Need apartment satellite dish mounting help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan_R, Apr 5, 2001.

1. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Hi guys,
    How do you apartment dwellers mount/stand your satellite dishes outside? I'm on the 15th floor and our dish is duct taped to a table on the balcony outside. There's gotta be a better way than this. I don't want to drill into our exterior brick, as the landlords will probably kill us. I was trying to find something heavy enough not to blow away
    to use a a stand for the dish. I switched from a round dish to an oval one yesterday, so naturally this one is a litte heavier and harder to balance.
    Any other apartment dwellers care to share their installation methods?
    Thanks.
    ~~Nathan
    ------------------
    ...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I don't live in an apartment, but I know a lot of guys who cement the pole in a large bucket and attach the dish to the pole...
    ------------------

3. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Mike,
    Thansk for your input!
    I thought about the bucket, but then there's the SAF (Spouse Approval Factor). Both my wife and I would like to make something moderately attractive, or at least not ugly. I almost went the large flowerpot/cement route, but I'd hate to ever have to move that thing. I'm thinking about some sort of mount for the railing, but I'm having trouble designing anything stable for our 5" round balcony railing. Looks like another experimental trip to Home Depot.
    ~~Nathan
    ------------------
    ...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

4. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

Someone sells a "planter" that doubles as a dish mount. It may be easy to DIY; and the wife will have yet another plant to care for!
    The dirt acts as ballast.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Buy a sheet of plywood and cut it down to the size of your balcony. Maybe even double it up. (Two 3/4" screwed together) Then mount the dish on the stand.
    Glenn

6. EddieN

EddieN Agent

Hey Timmy,
    Do you know where I could get details on the planter that doubles as a sat stand ?
    Otherwise I'm gonna end up with a bucket, some quik-rete, and a pole.
    ------------------
    - Eddie

7. Timmy

Timmy Stunt Coordinator

Eddie, I read about the dish "planter" on another web site. There was a link to the manufacturer; but I can not find it.
    From what I remember it looked like; it was a 1.5 ft by 3 or 4 foot wood box planter with clamps on one of the ends.... clamps to hold a short piece of mast pipe. And I think instead of clamps/mast-pipe usage; you could opt for 2 ft wood post that the dish mount could be attached to.
    ------------------

8. Richard Driskill

Richard Driskill Stunt Coordinator

Nathan,
    What about purchaing a 3' X 3' X 1/4" piece of genuine "Diamond Plate" steel to mount the pole base to? It would be heavy enough, you could buy a little throw rug to place inbetween the base mount and the plate before you attach the base, and vola! no offensive "structure", looks like a nice throw rug with a dish sitting on it, great stability, wont rust, and you can even position chairs and whatnot on it, and you wont get a hernia if you try to move it.

9. Richard Driskill

Richard Driskill Stunt Coordinator

Opps, meant to say "aluminum" not "steel". And don't forget to ground the dish and cable to something, like the metal railing (It should be tied into the buildings main beam structure).