Need any and all replies Quickly: Anthem MCA3 or Rotel RB993

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chung_sotheby, Oct 22, 2002.

1. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I am looking to purchase a three channel amp to go with my surrounds and center, and I have the opportunity to purchase either one of these. Now, which one would ya'll suggest. I would have to pay about $125 more for the Rotel, is it that much better. As for my tastes, I like a smoother sound as opposed to a more nuetral/bright sound, and I am pairing the amp up with an Odyssey as the main amp and an Outlaw/Sonic Frontiers ht/music pre-pro section. Please, any help would be great. Speakers are AAD 2001, surrounds are Paradigm 20's, center is a Norh 4.0 marble (great as a center.) thanks in advance.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I have found Rotel to be warmer than the Anthem. The Anthem is more neutral to forward and esp with Paradigm's it will be more so. So if I were you I would go with the Rotel. If it were only surrounds then I wouldn't mind either but since the center is involved, I would prefer warmer sounding center than a forward and brighter one. A warmer signature lends naturalness and body to human vocals. I have a B&K for my center and surrounds and to my ears it sounds sweeter on the vocals than my Proceed.

3. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Chung,

How much are you expecting to pay for the Rotel, if you don't mind me asking. I've been searching around for a 3 channel amp (Rotel 993, Parasound 2003 or the Acurus A200x3) and haven't really seen any 993's out there. Just trying to get an idea for what they're running.

Aaron

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Around $750 or so. Aboiut half off of original MSRP

5. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

I have an anthem mca-2 for my fronts and a rotel RB-985 five channel for my surrounds and centre(bridged) and one channel left open. Can't tell much of a difference in HT between the two but vocals do seem a bit warmer but never bloated. With the paradigms I'd probably lean toward the rotel, maybe, but is a very hard decision. I haven't quite got around to testing the rotel on my mains. I have a full paradigm reference setup. studio 40's, cc and adp surrounds.

6. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chung,

I've got a 993, and can attest that it is an excellent amp, leans slightly to a darker character, mostly cos the extreme high frequencies are somewhat recessed. Should match well with your Paradigms, mine has proved very reliable so far, and I could not tell the difference between it and a RMB 1095. And the reviews of that amp are very positive. More power than you would ever really need considering what speakers you are going to use, and is actually a very decent stereo performer too, though perhaps not quite up to the Odyssey you have.

Btw, are you getting yours second hand?

Cheers,
    Mike