What's new

Need answer quick please (1 Viewer)

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
After about 2 hours of laying on my side with a flashlight in my mouth in my attic I was finally able to get some wiring ran up over my vaulted ceiling. I was so proud of my self, several times i thought about stopping and calling a electrician buddy of mine for help, but i stuck it out and after bumping my head 60 times i finally was able to get the wire over to where it needs to be in the attic. My joy was short lived when i saw that I left myself about 3FT short! I cussed myself for a while and decided i was not going to crawl back over the top of that vaulted ceiling.

My question is can i just splice some more wire on without any problems and what is the best way to do a splice job.

I'm such a dumbA$$

Thanks

Rod Melotte

Stunt Coordinator
LOL - been there, done that. I don't have an answer and I spliced. Just wanted to tell you that you are not alone!

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Ouch! What a pain in the a$$. Personally I'd reccomend against splicing. Anytime you have a splice, you're going to get signal degradation. Plus it's a real pain if/when the splice comes apart.
On the plus side, running new wire should be a snap. Just tie a proper length of wire to one end of the wire you've already run, and pull the short wire out from the other end. It'll pull the new wire into place without all the headaches ;) associated with bumping around in the crawlspace. Use a small knot, and wrap it with electrical tape to keep it from snagging on anything as you pull it through.
T

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
ah thom beat me to it, the tying the wire to old wire or string or unbent wire hanger method saved me so much time when running cat5 cable in my parents house (for networking...)

Loring

Stunt Coordinator
You could use the already pulled wire to be able to pull the new "LONGER" run.

Just attach the new run to the old run that is to short and pull the new line. Use shorter line somewhere else in your runs.

Recap. use the line(s) you just pulled to pull the longer line(s). You can tie it together or use tape.. like duct tape.

I have experience doing this because I have ran cat-5 cable in walls and throughout a few homes and buildings.

Hope this will help.

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Well I would pull some new wire through with the wire i just installed but I stapled it to the rafters so it would stay high up. I think ill twist on some new wire and solder the twist together to make it stronger. maybe someday soon i can get one of my teenage kids down the road to crawl back there and pull the staples.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Personally, I am really finicky and particular when it comes to my wiring, I would crawl up there and run new wire, but that's me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks