Need an opinion or two on a comparison...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by James-S, Mar 11, 2004.

1. James-S

James-S Auditioning

Mar 6, 2004
    After recently moving, my old JBL TLX-181's got prett badly damaged. The grill pins were busted and the binding posts on the back of one of the speakers were complete cracked off. The speakers, being pretty old, were in bad shape.

Since I already needed a new receiver (My Onkyo 575 had been serviced 4 times for the infamous problem with losing sound when switching audio sources), I decided I'd upgrade the speakers).

Anyway money is a huge issue right now so I went with a HTS-760 setup.

Question is...speaker wise...what's better? Those old JBL TLX-181 and I had Boston Acoustics HD5's for rears and an HD5V for a centter....or the speakers witht the 760? (SKT-100 I think).

Hopefully this is in the right place...since my post pertains more to speakers.

I'm still debating if it's worth getting the JBL's repaired. They may not be the best but they served me well for many years.

One other note...was also using a Velodyne CT-80 sub.
  2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Jun 29, 2001
    I'm tempted to say something like from Pet Cemetary "Sometimes, dead is bettah" but you might be able to repair those JBL's yourself. Head on over to PartsExpress where you'll find a variety of products that might breath new life into those old speakers. Binding posts are cheap and you can probably get creative with the grills.