What's new

Need an easy to use free Forum program: Help (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hey folks,

My wife and some of her net friends want to move from the crappy Yahoo Groups style "forum" and start their own private forum.

I have webspace available, but need to know where I can download an EASY to use FREE forum program that a handful of ladies can chat and post messages on.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Alfer

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Have you thought of just creating one on www.ezboard.com? It's free, but you have to put up with pop-up ads and banners. If you want to upgrade it to no advertisments it's a very affordable price.
I set up a board there and it's very easy to administer. You can also make it private and require passwords to register. It's powerful and customizable.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Yabb looks interesting. Not sure if my web host package has all the features it needs. Does anyone run it on their sites? Do they spam your site with ads?

Problem I've found with ezboard is that you don't get the feeling of your forum being unique to your site. They host it on their servers and control the user access etc. To become a member you need to register through ezboard and be subjected to their emails and spam advertising. I'm also finding that it has some annoying bugs and querks that are starting to get on my nerves.

I really like vBulletin but it's not an option to me at the moment.

How much knowledge do you need to run forum software. I can write HTML but know nothing about PERL or SQL.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
try the Snitz Forums 2000 if you're on an NT server. It's what I use for the forums on my site, and has done a solid job so far. It was easy to set up/administer, and has handled forum traffic well (just be sure to update the access database from 97 to 2000 or 2002 if you go that route)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
According to my webhosts FAQs

Our servers are Pentium III 500 systems running Linux as operating system and Apache as web server. The machines are protected by RAID5-systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks