Need an All-in-one recommendation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry_Brown, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Larry_Brown

Larry_Brown Auditioning

This may seem like a strange place for this request as you people are "into" home theater in a bigger way than I ever intened to be. However, even on the lower end I want the most bang for my buck and figure I should get my help from the experts (besides, one of you guys might have what I'm looking for in your 2nd setup in a bedroom, RV, etc :b)
    I'm looking to consolidate my larger separates into an all-in-one AV receiver/DVD unit. I don't want to buy one of the "Home Theater" packages, as I intend on using my current Boston Acoustics T-930 towers and supplementing them with either the JVC 5.1 speakers I have or splurging on the Klipsch Multimedia 5.1 setup. The closest thing I've seen to what I am looking for is a JVC RX-DV3SL at Crutchfield for $399. If anyone knows of another place to get something like this I would appreciate the information.
    I will be hooking it up the following equipment in a 15 x 23 foot living room. I really don't do a lot of critical music listening anymore so the separates take up a lot of room for little gain on my part (and heck, I NEVER use the cassette player):
    Mitsubishi 30" TV (that unfortunately ONLY has one S-video input)
    Sony HiFi VCR (No S-video)
    XBOX
    Time Warner Cable Box
    Right now I have to use an AV switch because of the lone S-video input on the monitor and the lack of an S-video output on the VCR..... PLUS I don't want my Stereo on ALL the time the TV is....only when I want to watch movies/ play the XBOX, etc. The all-in-one will hopefully simplify the setup as I have to admit that even I have trouble sometimes figuring out which buttons to push....everyone else in the family is clueless if I'm not here to set it up for them.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Larry

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Larry. Welcome to HTF! [​IMG]
    First, lets talk speakers:
    It's a bad idea to try and mix your Boston towers with other speakers. They wont tone-match. When dialog/sounds move from the center speaker to the L/R, they will change and break the illusion of movement.
    You really want all 3 front speakers to be identical.
    Three bookshelf speakers make a wonderful front speaker array.
    SVideo Switching:
    Many modern AV receivers offer SVideo switching. This is an ideal way to make the system simple to use. For the low-quality sources like your VCR, you can buy a $20 converter that converts from the single video cable (called "composite") to SVideo at Radio Shack. The quality is not great, but since you are going DVD, you will likely not care.
    From your CATV box, run coax straight to the TV. This allows the family to watch TV without turning on the receiver. But also connect the L/R/Video from the CATV box through the receiver for the better sound when you are home. (Yes, another $20 adaptor for the video might be needed).
    So what you really need is a AV Receiver. (I'm assuming your XBox will be your DVD player).
    Look for a Kenwood unit like the 409 that offers SVideo switching. These had a price of $399 a few months ago.
    Kenwood is struggling to come back from obscurity, so in the last 5 years they have been making some good, but low priced equipment.
    One of Kenwood's better offerings is something like the HTB509 - 5 speakers, self-powered sub woofer, receiver, multi-disk DVD/CD player - all for $599. An incredible setup for the price.
    Hope this helps.

3. Larry_Brown

Larry_Brown Auditioning

I should have been more specific.

Last year I purchased a JVC RX-6008V which included 5 speakers plus the subwoofer. I thought this would do everything I wanted and simply my setup. While it does everything I wanted, it DOES NOT REALLY simplify things to the level I would like. Also I was really UNDERWHELMED by the sound quality of the included speakers (as I guess I was expecting to be). Plus I still have 3 full sized audio components requiring a fairly large entertainment center to house it all in our small-ish living room. We are buying new furniture and I would like to be able to downsize this area with sacrificing (too much) in quality.

If figure cost-wise, by Ebaying the current setup, it won't be much out of pocket, if anything. In the electronics area I really don't think I'll be sacrificing ANYTHING. However, I realize the speakers may be another story. If I could get fair value from my Boston T-930's, I may even use the Klipsh ProMedia's for everything if they sound as good as everything I've read. Yes, critical listening might be slightly better with the T-930's but I really don't sit around listening to music that way anymore. Usually just as background while I'm doing other things. If anyone has some other recommendations, I'd be happy to hear them

4. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Larry, just want to say that I also used to own BA t930s that I bought new back in like '91. I sold them to a cousin who still uses them to this day.
    BTW, if the Tar Heels fire Matt Doherty, are you going to quit coaching the '76ers to come back home to Carolina?

5. Larry_Brown

Larry_Brown Auditioning

ONLY IF I can bring my home boy, AI, with me. Unfortunately, I don't think he'll come along. Said something 'bout doubting he could get "partying-at-your-crib-while-waiting-to-turn-yourself-in" priveldges as a NON-hockey superstar up there. That and worrying that if he picked up the "eh" in his speech it would ruin his second career as a Hate Spewing Gangsta Rapper !!!
    PS AI has been trying to trade me his first born male child for my T930's for years, but it ain't happening. He wants to install them in the lockers to either side of his. That's why you always see him holding the boy at interviews........he's just come from negotiations [​IMG]

6. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Larry, that's cool. Go ahead and bring AI with you. Maybe he can run as Ric Flair's lieutenant Governor! That would be a great combo. Flair could kick the $hit out of them while AI holds a gun on them!