What's new

Need an affordable HTiB with good sound quality and HDMI a/v processing (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Riley Morgan
I've been doing some research on HTiBs and have run into a problem. I'm looking at refurbished units for about the $300 range and am stuck between two sides. I've read other places that Onkyos and Denons produce better sound quality than the average Sony or Samsung. There are some decently priced units on accessories4less.com and I was considering picking one up. My only problem is I've also heard these units have problems with HDMI video processing. I want to run a PS3 through the system and output it to the TV all through HDMI. This way I can take advantage of more audio formats and better audio quality. I've read that the Onkyo units have trouble with the video prcoessing through HDMI and sometimes have video cuts, delays, and overall sluggishness. This would completely ruin my setup. However, on the other hand, the Sony and Samsung units seem to have no problem with this HDMI video processing. I would like to know if anyone can suggest a well-priced unit that has good sound quality along with no HDMI video problems. Maybe there is a Samsung out there that has good sound quality? An Onkyo that has no problem processing an HDMI video signal? Either way, I want an affordable way to add a good sound system to my living room with the PS3 as the main hub.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Most people that have issues with "video processing"... 1. Don't understand HDCP 2. Don't read the manual about how to hook it up(as in must be off...and in some cases unplugged) 3. Have their source(the BD/PS3/Xbox) not set-up correctly.

Real Name
Riley Morgan
Understood. I'll have to do some reading on HDCP, but I get the basic concept. So are there any models you would recommend just based on sound quality? There's a Denon packaged with Boston Acoustics speakers that seems to fit the bill, but I'd like to hear some suggestions.

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
The denon with Boston speakers would be good. It's always good to get speakers from a company that specializes in speakers. And a AVR from......well, you get it.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You're wise to look at a receiver speaker package vs a htib which are fraught with problems. Limited connectivity, in-compadability with other equipment and if one part breaks you usually have to replace the whole thing. The Onkyo systems are popular because of the low price but something has to give, and it's the speakers. They really don't sound that bad, much better than the typical htib speakers. I really don't have much experience with the speakers in the Denon/Boston packages but even though they are pretty small speakers, being that Bosten specializes in speakers (and not receivers) I bet they're decent enough. The specs on the subwoofer probably won't be as good as the Onkyo subs but it might have better quality. The Denon/Boston 591 package @ $350 was a pretty good deal but ac4l is Sold-Out :( .

Real Name
Riley Morgan
Right, so the Denon with Boston Acoustics should sound better than a Denon with Denon speakers or an Onkyo of the same variety? What about Sony and Samsung? All crap? Any with decent sound quality? I understand that building your own setup is highly preferred to HTiB but right now I don't have the time or resources(or money) to go about this. I really just want something to give my blu-ray collection and games the extra sound they deserve. I'm a tiny bit of an audiophile when it comes to music so I was looking for something with a bit better than stock sound

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Denon, Marantz and Boston Acoustics are all the same "brand". The basic difference between the Denon 1313BA(I think that is the model number) and the HTS 5500... Onkyo gives you a more capable AVR. Denon gives you marginally better speakers.

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Sony and Samsung aren't good in terms of receivers. Both Onkyo and Denon makes good receivers, can't go wrong with either. You're going to give up something either way.

Real Name
Riley Morgan
Yeah...I can already tell I'm giving up something with an HTiB. So I've been narrowing it down and I've found an Onkyo HT-S5500 for around $300, there are some issues people are having that scare me. Many people complain their sub stopped working at some point. Same people and others complained their receiver had problems with video and sound cutting. I'm guessing/hoping this is just a problem with HDCP. Is 7.1 worth the investment? I have numerous blu-rays and a PS3, not sure if any games are in 7.1 but I know many movies are now. Can anyone recommend good places to shop? I was looking at accessories4less but then I noticed the $50 shipping and that bumped all my price estimates off

Real Name
Riley Morgan
So after reading all your comments and checking more prices I think I've narrowed it down to an Onkyo HTS-5500. I've found one for about $300 from newegg, open box. A few people have reported problems with the subwoofer, and that the receiver tends to overheat. Should I stay away from Open Box because of these problems, or do you think I should be safe? Can anyone recommend any other well-rounded units in my price range and places to shop? Thanks for all the help so far

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
I tend to stay away from open box, unless I am there to test the item. That said many manufactures honor the full warranty on open box items. Roll the dice, could just be something they didn't like, or.....a fried sub.

Real Name
Riley Morgan
Right, newegg has a 30-day full refund policy, so I think if I could get away with a perfectly good unit for 300 it's worth it to me. Normally I like to buy things in the store as well but where I live and my lack of a car means I have to buy online.

Real Name
Riley Morgan
Alright! Final question. Thanks for all the help and support so far, it's been great. I've decided on the HT-S5500, it seems like a well-rounded system with decent speakers and a great receiver. Seems perfect for now, and eventually the receiver can serve as my base for upgrading the rest of the system. I've found the unit for around $300 at two different places. Newegg.com: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882120201R Open box, no details listed really. No option to add a warranty. Not sure how old the unit is and if it is still covered by Onkyo or if they will even cover an open box item. $299.99 with free 3-day shipping accessories4less.com : http://www.accessories4less.com/index.php?page=item&id=ONKHTS5500&extra=a%3A2%3A%7Bi%3A0%3Bs%3A40%3A%2203823345592a403b2f4a37a59384e7ab28f02be1%22%3Bi%3A1%3BN%3B%7D This one is $249.99 with $51.46 FedEx ground. Option for a warranty from New Leaf. The unit is refurbished and most likely still covered by Onkyo. It seems about a month ago I missed a sale on Amazon for around $268, that would have been perfect because I trust Amazon and I have prime which usually gives me free 2-day shipping. It seems like a trifle, but I have had horrible experience with FedEx. They seem to take lifetimes to get to where I live. The reason I'm concerned about shipping speed is the whole 30-day return policy for most items. Overall the acs4less seems like the safer option, would you all recommend refurbished to open box? Any bad/good experiences with either? Or is it worth to pay $349.99 and get a brand new one from Amazon? I guess in the scheme of things $50 isn't really a big deal...but I'm trying to save as much as I can

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've bought a few things from ac4l.com and all were like new and have worked perfectly so far. In the last year I've picked up a Marantz 5005, 7006 BR player and 4003 cd player. I'd take refurbed over open-box on the internet unless there was a price difference making open-box worth the risk. The 5500 for is about the best you can do for $300 (including shipping). If you're really worried about it pony up for the 3 or 5 year extended warranty. Only way you could do better is on craigslist.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
http://www.onkyousa.com/locations_intdealer.cfm Makes absolutely zero difference, at all ever and will never make any difference ever at all ever in the history of buying open box merchandise at all ever anywhere in store or on the internet if an item is open box. And if that isn't plain enough.... It makes zero difference if the item is NIB, a floor sample, a return or a refurb. As long as you buy it from an "authorized source" you have a warranty....period, end of discussion.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Yes, you will have a warranty. But will you also have a receiver with scratches all over it, marks, stains, missing parts, does it have the correct remote? Does it have a remote at all? Is the box trashed? Etc. Has it been sitting on the shelf for 6 months powered on? How many times have they had to put the volume knob back on because little Johnny kept on pulling it off? O.K., I've exaggerated just a little for effect, but you get my point. If at all possible I like to examine an open-box item in person before deciding to buy it. My second home theater receiver was an open-box H/K 520 from Circuit City which I used for 6-7 years without any issue what so ever. But I gave it a good going over before I bought it. And I'm not against an open box at all. But if given a choice on the internet I'd take a refurb over an open box with price being about equal.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"internet I'd take a refurb over an open box with price being about equal" The "only flaw" with that argument... Open-Box is still new. Refurb is refurb. New and refurb warranty are typically not the the same. Now if this is an open-box refurb....

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Tell you the difference between "open-box" and refurb... Best Buy sells an AVR. You take it back. They re-sell it as open-box to the next guy for 10% off. Still "new" the entire time. Best Buy sells an AVR. You take it back. Best Buy has "too many of them" and decides to ship it back to the wholesaler/manufacturer. Wholesaler/manufacturer has no idea why "this one" of the 50(or so) they've received back...came back. It gets re-taped in "refurb" tape(or "plain-boxed") and resold to discounters with less warranty. Refurb can also apply to AVR that had a warranty repair and the manufacturer was waiting on parts and sent the original customer a "new one" and once this one was repaired...they sold it to the discounters.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
An open box could also be a floor model, which is what I try and avoid. I just think a refurb is the better bet for most people, especially on the net.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Actually they are required to tell you if you are buying a floor model. And floor models automatically come with a discount pre-applied. When X manufacturer offers a TV for sale...the retailer is allowed to "buy a discount floor sample" that can NOT be sold till the item is discontinued. That "they bought it for less discount" is supposed to be(and it is written into many state laws) a direct discount to the end consumer... Meaning(just throwing one out there...) BB puts a Denon 2312 on display. That "display" BB buys for $100* less than wholesale. That $100 price reduction is required to be given to the customer. *Have no idea if it is $100...could be $40...could be $60. Point being floor samples are REQUIRED to be sold as such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks