What's new

Need an advice please (1 Viewer)

Sergey M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I'm forced to get rid of one of my two home theater setups. :frowning: I'm considering either selling it all on eBay or on these forums, selling it to a friend of mine at a *very* generous discount or donating to write it off. Here's what I have:

- Marantz SR-7000 receiver (approx $700 new)
- 4x Infinity RS5 towers (approx $250 new, each)
- 1x Infinity CC3 center (approx $350 new)
- 1x Velodyne CT-12 sub (approx $350 new)

If memory serves me well, I've had it all for about 6+ years and bought it new and retail back then. All pieces are still in like-new condition.

What do you guys think it all as a whole package worth these days? Thanks.

PS My apologies if this post doesn't belong to this forum.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The problem with receivers is that ever-technology makes them dated (read undesirable) pretty fast. For instance, since your receiver came out, component video has come along, and just recently HDMI. In the audio department, most receivers in the price range of what yours cost now have digital auto EQ functions. 6.1 and 7.1 has been added (although a lot of people aren’t’ necessarily interested in that).

Assuming it has Dolby Digital, it should be worth at least 20-25% of what you paid for it. The nice thing about eBay is you can research completed auctions and see what others have sold for. You can always do an auction with a reserve, to make sure you don’t have to give it away.

Speakers are another thing. Since technology changes are much slower there, they have a much longer “shelf life” as far a resale value goes, especially popular brands like you have. They should be worth about half what you paid for them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Sergey M

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne,

I appreciate you taking time to reply in such detail.

It didn't occur to me to check completed eBay listing until you mentioned it. You were right on both, receiver and speakers estimates side. I was more or less on target with the receiver (it has DD 5.1 and DTS decoders, btw) but missed the mark on speakers. I thought they would yield about 20-25% but I see they go for a lot more.

The only problem with selling floor standing speakers is shipping. I wish I had saved all original boxes. I had disposed of first 2 boxes before realizing I need to keep them just in case.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks