Need amp advice.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by SeanAH, Mar 11, 2006.

1. SeanAH

SeanAH Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a harmon kardon 635. I thinking I may buy a outlaw 750 (5x165w's). I would like to hook the external amp up to my receiver, so Im still using the amp on my receiver, along with the external amp to drive my speakers. How would I wire this? Would kind of cables would I need besides normal speaker wire?

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Are your speakers capable of being bi-wired? This means, do they have a jumper on the back that allows you to separately drive different drivers within the speaker cabinet. If there are no jumpers on the back of the speakers you cannot do what you are proposing.

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

What kind of speakers do you have? 165w is much more than enough for most speakers.

4. SeanAH

SeanAH Stunt Coordinator

I have onix rocket 750's, and they are bi-wired. I still have yet to get my center. Im looking for a rsc200, and hopefully it will be bi-wired. I had heard awhile back that you can connect you amp through your receiver through rca jack cables. But is that only if you want to use your receiver as a pre-amp? Not use any of the power from your receiver?

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

At least with my experience don't waste time bi-amping your speakers with your AVR, a stand alone amp will easily push your speakers and the sound quality may be dragged down by putting your avr into the mix.