1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

need advise

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gaelen, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Gaelen

Gaelen Auditioning

Hey, im rly new to the whole HT world...but im moving houses in 2 months, and i would like to turn my room into a HT...now first u must know that i am pretty young, so i do not have a ton of money to throw around...what i was thinking was getting a benq pb6100 projector and a Sony DAV-BC250 5-Disc Home Theatre System. here are my questions.

1. do you think it is a good idea to get the audio in a package like with the Sony DAV-BC250 5-Disc Home Theatre System? I do not have eneugh money to go all out on speakers and buy each one indavidually...this system seams powerfull eneugh with its 680 total wats.

2. with the benq pb6100 i know there is only 1 s-video port. If i wanted to hook up many things that use s-video, what should i buy so that i can switch them. i.e. i would like to hook up my satelite tv to it, my ps2, my dvd player (duh) and perhaps my vhs.

3. I will be using a white wall for now, as i have a pretty tight budget. is there any specific paint i should use to paint the wall with?

thank you very much for you time [​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Gaelen. Since you're asking for specific advice on an entire system I've moved your post to A/V Sources. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks, and good luck on your search.

3. Pieter_V

Pieter_V Auditioning

well, I can tell you that you don't have to paint your wall into white.

I have the BenQ PB6100 also, and I project my movies on a wall that is painted in an earthcolor. grey-brown.

To connect more s-video channels to your projector I should buy a cheap A/V-receiver, that is a little better than a sony, with some more options than you have now.
    You can also connect something with composit or SVGA-cable (if possible)

But that's your choice.
    Hope I helped you out.

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yeah, Pieter is right. The best bet for switching would probably be a lower-end home theater receiver. Instead of getting the Sony HTIB, you might consider a lower-end Yamaha receiver. If you did that and got something like the Klipsch quintets speakers and Dayton 10" sub from Parts Express you'd probably end up just a little higher than the Sony HTIB, but you'd have higher quality components with the benefit of adding more inputs to your system.