need advise

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gaelen, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Gaelen

Gaelen Auditioning

Hey, im rly new to the whole HT world...but im moving houses in 2 months, and i would like to turn my room into a HT...now first u must know that i am pretty young, so i do not have a ton of money to throw around...what i was thinking was getting a benq pb6100 projector and a Sony DAV-BC250 5-Disc Home Theatre System. here are my questions.

1. do you think it is a good idea to get the audio in a package like with the Sony DAV-BC250 5-Disc Home Theatre System? I do not have eneugh money to go all out on speakers and buy each one indavidually...this system seams powerfull eneugh with its 680 total wats.

2. with the benq pb6100 i know there is only 1 s-video port. If i wanted to hook up many things that use s-video, what should i buy so that i can switch them. i.e. i would like to hook up my satelite tv to it, my ps2, my dvd player (duh) and perhaps my vhs.

3. I will be using a white wall for now, as i have a pretty tight budget. is there any specific paint i should use to paint the wall with?

thank you very much for you time [​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Gaelen. Since you're asking for specific advice on an entire system I've moved your post to A/V Sources. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Thanks, and good luck on your search.

3. Pieter_V

Pieter_V Auditioning

well, I can tell you that you don't have to paint your wall into white.

I have the BenQ PB6100 also, and I project my movies on a wall that is painted in an earthcolor. grey-brown.

To connect more s-video channels to your projector I should buy a cheap A/V-receiver, that is a little better than a sony, with some more options than you have now.
    You can also connect something with composit or SVGA-cable (if possible)

But that's your choice.
    Hope I helped you out.

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Yeah, Pieter is right. The best bet for switching would probably be a lower-end home theater receiver. Instead of getting the Sony HTIB, you might consider a lower-end Yamaha receiver. If you did that and got something like the Klipsch quintets speakers and Dayton 10" sub from Parts Express you'd probably end up just a little higher than the Sony HTIB, but you'd have higher quality components with the benefit of adding more inputs to your system.