Need advise on the Terk antenna for 18" Directv dish

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alf S, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    I currently use rabbit ears for local channels (Directv doesn't offer them in my area BTW)and the stations look great, but the "ears" are plain ugly.

I'm considering getting the Terk 42 clamp on antenna for my dish, however I have a question.

Once mounted and wired, do I just put a splitter on the coax that comes into the house, and feed one signal to my VCR (I use to watch and record locals) and the other cable to my Directv receiver?

Thanks for the help
    Alfer

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’ve not used this antenna, but have been advised that it is not any better than a good indoor antenna.

3. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    That may be true, but I'm not really looking for better, just looking to NOT have ugly rabbit ears in the living room anymore.

I've tried that flat RCA brand indoor antenna and it sucked, aweful reception.

4. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

Buy it from a local store with a good return policy and try it out.

To use it, the setup you describe will work. I assume from your question you only have one room of DirectTV, and specifically that you don't have a satellite multi-splitter and probably a single LNB. If you do have that multi, then you can just feed the antenna input right into it...

Me

5. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Thanks Tim...

Actually it's a dual LNB feeding a bedroom and the living room.

So if I split the signal at each location, I should be fine?

Alf

6. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

Well, that's a lot of splits for an antenna cable. If it doesn't work well, try getting the multi-splitter thingy (that's not the right name, but I'm feeling lazy) and putting the antenna (and both LNBs) directly into that (and just running 2 of the 4 outputs to your two rooms). The multi-splitter thingy will run you about $80, and you'll have to buy two more short RG6 cords to go from the LNBs to it.
    The added benefit of doing it that way will be that you can tune local stations w/ your DirectTV box. To tune them with your VCR, you'll have to get one of the DirectTV desplitters (again, not the right word, again, lazy).
    Again, I suggest a store with a good return policy [​IMG]
    Me

7. jeff.wright

jeff.wright Auditioning

All of the required connection equipment will come in the Terk box.

The Terk antenna will clamp onto the dish. There are some short patch cords to go from the LNB to the back of the antenna. From there, it is muxed into your original cable feed that goes into your home.

Once inside, you will use the included Terk diplexer to split the signals back in two again. One feed will be labeled for SAT and the other for analog TV to the tuner of your choice (VCR, TV, etc.)

These work so-so depending on your distance from the network towers in your metro area. As suggested, try one out and take it back if it doesn't suit your needs.

If you own your home, a better solution that I have found is to put a full-size antenna into your attic space. Out of site, out of mind.