What's new

need advise on purchase of Directv HDset top box (1 Viewer)

Jeff_mg

Auditioning
Hi Everyone,

I just purchased the Panny 500 42" Plazma that has HDMI input. I currently have the RCA DTC100 Set top box that I will be moving to another room. I am running the Panny through my Denon 3801. Is getting a set top box with HDMI nessesary? Is their any difference in picture quality vs component. Please let me know if I should get it with HDMI and what models are best and also what models to get without HDMI. Also if the set top box has DVI, Can this be run to the HDMI through an adapter without loss of picture quality?

Looking forward to hear your advise

-Jeff-

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I think there is a very subtle improvement using HDMI compared to component with my HR10-250. The Hughes HTL-HD and its clones has DVI but I don't know if you can find it now, I think all of the current DirecTV HD receivers use HDMI. I use HDMI>DVI without any noticable picture quality differences compared to HDMI>HDMI. I have never used DVI>HDMI but that should be indistinguishable as well. There have been some reports of issues when using a cable with a DVI connector on one end and HDMI on the other but I have never observed any.

Chris

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
DirecTV's HD DVR comes with many cables they are a HDMI, HDMI-DVI, Component, S-Cable, Composite and RF. BTW I didn't notice a difference with the HDMI over Component; however, I didn't look extremely close either. So I would guess the difference if any is marginal. Did I memtion I have the DTV HD DVR? ;) And I use the HDMI connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks