Need advise on Processor/Power Amp combo...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Castro, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Rick Castro

Rick Castro Auditioning

I am currently in the process of upgrading my Onkyo TX-DS777 Receiver(being used as processor),and a Parasound HCA-2205-AT(powering all 5 channels). The problem I have is my Parasound smoked the #4 channed(being the left rear). I bought it from an authorized dealer that was willing to refund my money considering I have spent about 12 thousand dollars in his store. This time around I want to use a dedicated processor and power amp combo. I thought about waiting for the new Parasound line "HALO" but the high end stuff has an ETA of July,and that will not do for me, unless of course it is just some out of this world new breed of kick-ass equipment. I have considered Sunfire's high end line and Mcintosh as well. I am willing to spend roughly about 7 to 8 thousand dollars for both pieces(of course that would buy Mcintosh's 6 channel power amp /w some ends left over to go toward a processor, but if the Mcintosh line is FAR superior to all then I would buy amp and use Onkyo for processor until I could sell all that is in my possesion to get my grubby little hands on processor. My system includes:

Onkyo TX-DS777 Receiver

Sony KD34XBR2 HDTV

Sony DVP-NS700P DVD Player

Klipsch RF-7's (Fronts being bi-wired @ 4 ohms)

Klipsch RC-7 (Center being bi-wired @ 4 ohms)

Klipsch RS-7's (Rears)

SVS Dual 16-46's /w Samson 1000

Bettercables wiring

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It is very hard to demo equipment and get an accurate idea because of differents setups,wiring,speakers,and the such at stores. I have to rely on you folks for some real ideas and setups.

Thanks,

Rick

2. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

In that price range I would consider the following:

Processor:

Sunfire Theater Grand III

Anthem AVM20

Aragon Stage One (haven't listened to it as it is just coming out)

Amplifier (lots more choices, but I really like these):

Bryston 9BST

Sunfire

Classe CAV-180 (I have a CAV-150)

I would not buy the Mac and spend less on the processor as the gains you will get by buying a better processor will be much greater, and the above amps are really excellent. The above processors retail in the $3000-$4000 range, and so do the amps. I personally am currently using a CAV-150 with the Sunfire Theater Grand II, and awaiting an Anthem AVM20. Good luck.

3. Rick Castro

Rick Castro Auditioning

thanks for the advice. Going to look at all either by demos or online.

4. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I'll highly recommend Theta either the Casa Nova or Casablanca processors.

I own a Casa Nova and my only regret is that it is not a Casablanca, because of its greater range of flexibility offered.

Good points:

1) completely upgradeable

2) pay for only the options you want

3) great at DTS and Dolby Digital

4) great DAC's

5) comprehensive setup options including sub crossovers

Weak points:

1) have wait and see if it sticks approach, before offering upgrade. Thus sometimes behind latest greatest technology rage, but what they do have is done at a very high level.

As far as amps go, I used to own Klipsch speakers 10.5's and their matching set. I found them to be way too bright and aggresive for me, my wife wouldn't even listen to music on them. Anyhow I would try to find something with a smooth musical somewhat recessed sound to counteract the Klipsch. Also you don't need a high powered amp at all, 10 watts will give you about 110 db. With those factors in mind, I would suggest Theta, BAT, Cary, Classe, McCormack, and Ayre as good places to start.

I could throw some more ideas at you but those would be heavily influenced by my listening and music preferences that have nothing to do with your original post.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Isn't the Casablanca a bit out of his stated price range?

6. Rick Castro

Rick Castro Auditioning

Once again guys,thanks for the input. I have not checked the price of the Casablanca, but if it is abit more than I mentioned and absolutly worth the price then I could sell my kids...jk. Not hearing many good reviews about Sunfire, I used to own a Carver HR-772(when Bob was still in charge), and that sucka could rock the house and thats at least a 10 year old amp...JMO. Starting to really get confused, so many options to go with and all have very different specs,ie.(watts,thd,weight,blah,blah,blah).Again I will be doing some demo work this weekend checking out ALL advices...thanks you guys have opened my eyes to lines that I just ruled out because of looks(sheesh that amp cant be cheaper than 6,000,damn looks like it belongs on wall like a painting).So many watts,so little time...keep the ideas coming please...

Thanks,

Rick

7. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I'd go for the Mac amplifier and an Outlaw 950.