What's new

Need advise of trip to London, England (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Hey guys!
I'm in the process of booking a trip to London, England. I basically have two questions before I finalize my plans.
1) I'm looking to go in either April or May. What kind of weather could I expect during those months?
2) The hotel I'm looking at staying in is called Bonnington in Bloomsbury (www.bonnington.com). Has anyone here heard anything good/bad about this hotel?
If there's anything else you feel I should know, I'd really appriciate the info!

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
I don't have an answer to your question but make sure you see the Swaminarayan Mandir(temple) in Neasdon. It is something worth seeing.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
1. The weather could be anything from snow and frost to about 28C all the time. Plan for anything. Sorry. It's been particularly fucked up this year.
2. Bloomsbury's pretty posh. Apart from costing you two arms and at least one leg I'm sure the hotel will be fine but then I don't have the cash to go swanning around there!:D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Mind the gap :)
Go to at least one West End show. It's the only other theater area in the world at the level of New York's Broadway. Broadway and West End are the two premier theater districts in the world. Get tix in advance for something or go to the half price ticket booth in Leichestet (sp?) Square.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
or go to the half price ticket booth in Leichestet (sp?) Square.
Philip, thats the worst spelling of Leicester Square I've ever seen, my cat could have spelt it better.;) :D
David, the weather in London is so unpredictable our weathermen are all unemployed.
ps.I haven't been to the Bonnington hotel, so can't comment, sorry.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
The wife and I went in March a few years ago...everyone here told us how great the weather was going to be...we froze our freakin asses off...buy silk thermal underwear, no kidding, go get some...trust me, you won't regret it. It's the only thing that saved our ass...
I agree......."Mind the Gap"
TK-
:D

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Weather at the time of year you're coming is notoriously unpredictable, I'm afraid.
Come on Andrew - given the year thus far and normal English weather, when isn't it unpredictable? I pretty much always come to work in a short sleeved shirt, one or two fleeces, and carrying a foldaway raincoat! :eek:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Theo - true enough. The best advice is probably 'cast ne'er a clout until May is out' (translation - don't pack away your winter things unitl June).

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit
Now, I love a good inside joke as much as the next guy. But having only been to the Northern half of that beautiful island, will someone please fill me in on the Gap, and what there is to Mind about it? I'm dreadfully curious. TF

P.S. Is it a theatre company? A production? A chasm in the middle of London?

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
"Mind the gap" is a prerecorded message used on the London Underground whenever the doors close.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
In England "Mind the Gap"

In America "Watch your Step"

It plays over and over and over and over and over again when you ride the tube (subway) in London. But credit to the tube...it is definitely the easiest way to get around London. It's virtually impossible to get lost on that thing...

TK-

Duncan_N

Stunt Coordinator
David, if your from ontario you'll be used to the weather - its about the same, maybe a little warmer.

The advice about Time Out magazine is good. Buy yourself a copy as soon as you land and it will totally help you plan you time and tell you everything you need to know. It's a great city - the most like NY that I've been to.

Just remember, you'll have already have seen all the movies in theatres 6 months ago! Do go to a couple of West End shows though - Time Out will tell you what's hot at the time you are there.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm reminded of a geography essay we were set at school - 'Britain has weather, not a climate' - discuss.

Whether you like or hate British weather depends upon what you've been expecting - put simply, if you want baking hot temperatures, then Britain ain't the place to go. The climate (with some notable exceptions) tends to be temperate in all things. It rarely gets oppressively hot (there was a famous tabloid newspaper headline - 'Britain Sizzles in the Seventies') nor unbearably cold (unless you are in the northern extremities of the country). The big difference is that the weather is very changeable. E.g. being short sleeves weather in the morning and snowing in the afternoon is reasonably common in the winter and spring months.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
A couple of weeks ago we had, in the space of five hours:

Rain

Hail

Snow

Sleet

Rain again

Bright sunny (and warm!)

A bit overcast

Rain again (but warmer than before).

That was a confusing day.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
"Mind the gap" is a prerecorded message used on the London Underground whenever the doors close.
Actually it only plays on those stations with a gap! And it does at least say "Please mind the gap between the train and the platform" now. The old message was done away with years ago. But now all the trains speak to you so it's less weird than it was.
Saturday: Very sunny hot day and I was wearing a t-shirt
Today: freezing cold winds attempt to remove the skin from my face and I'm wearing two layers and my heaviest coat...
;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.