Need Advise for HTIB

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ricky Hartanto, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Ricky Hartanto

Ricky Hartanto Auditioning

Hi guys,

I am new with home theater stuff but I have always wanted to have a great set in my place. However, I decided at this point to have just a HTIB due to budgeting. If you guys would kindly give me advices on any HTIB that I should purchase, I would appreciate it so much. I have been looking on the web for reviews but I still can't determine a set that I should choose. Thank you so much.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Ricky. Welcome to HTF!
    I'm going to move your thread to the "Basics" area as you are likely to get better responses over there.
    Hint: Do a search on Kenwood HTB-504. [​IMG]

3. Ricky Hartanto

Ricky Hartanto Auditioning

Thanks Bob for your hint and the redirecting of my post. Anyway, I did do the search and found out that most people highly recommends the Kenwood HTB-504 which I think is around my budget. I was considering sony, onkyo, and phillips as they are reviewed on cnet but now, I may change my mind [​IMG] If you guys don't mind would you tell me the lows of sony, onkyo, and the phillips HTIB sets. I just would like to know just to gain knowledge.
    Also, I would need a dvd player but I think I will need a multiregion one with dual voltage.
    by the way, the Kenwood HTB-504 is dual voltage is it? Thanks.
    budget: around 600-700 including the dvd player.

4. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

The weak point of many HTB is the subwoofer. The kenwood comes with a 100 watt 8 inch subwoofer which is much better than most. Also, many people do not like the idea of having the DVD player and reciever fused into one unit. Too many problem could arise from that configuration. I just purchased the Kenwood sytem and the pioneer DV-440 DVD player. That was 700 dollars combined. I've since spent 75 dollars on cables so do not forget to take that into account.

5. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Ricky, you'll probably be looking at a Kenwood HTB-544 instead of the 504. I have the earlier model, and I've got no complaints. Sounds great, does everything I can ask of it with one tiny, tiny exception (no macro programming in the remote), and you can't beat the price, IMHO.