Need advise for going online with PS2 and Xbox please

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Teddlie, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Jon Teddlie

Jon Teddlie Stunt Coordinator

I bought a PS2 network adapter today along with SOCOM and really want to give it a spin but I have a small problem.. At this time I don't have a phone jack in my HT and my computer is in my "office room" I am using DSL internet through my telephone company, I am looking at having a jack installed in the HT but for now was looking at buying one of those Linksys wireless routers for the two gaming systems to share. Will this work? If so, I want to know what brand and model would be the best to get. I don't have much knowledge about lan etc but have been reading and trying to get somewhat more familiar with how it works.
    Any help here would be GREATLY appreciated. Hopefully I will be able to join in on some of the HTF clans and sports tourneys soon! Thanks, Jon

2. Jon Teddlie

I thought for sure someone could help me out here... After more investigation I may want to just go with a regular router and run some cat5 I know the speeds are supposed to be better than wireless. Could anyone atleast verify that and if it would benifit me? Thanks

3. Tommy_Y

Tommy_Y Extra

I've got the Linksys 4-port broadband router and have my PC and PS2 hooked up. It works without any problems and if you have XP you don't have to do anything. I just plugged in everything and it worked without having to configure anything.

4. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

I have the linksys 4 port router as well. No problems at all. I would definitely recommend it.

5. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

I have a Netgear router, works great. I'd stay away from wireless for the consoles just from the standpoint of speed. There should be no difference between wired and wireless, but for gaming I wouldn't want to take the chance. Plus, you can buy a router and an awful lot of Cat 5 cable for much less than the price of a wireless setup.

6. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Here is a link to another thread where I posted some general information on wired vs wireless setups. FYI, I'm considering a wireless set up just do to the horrible run of Cat5 I would have to do with a wired setup.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...highlight=xbox
    This topic is coming up a LOT and someone should put together a FAQ or primer. I'd volunter but I'm a programmer not a network guru (although I'd be happy to participate).
    FYI, EGM put together a nice little article (in a funny comic kind of format) in the latest issue about this same issue. You should check it out.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

All of our internet stuff is in my room (DSL modem, LinkSys wireless router) and we have a wireless network set up. Eventually, I will have my PS2 online, but it's in another room that's a good distance away. Could I get a wireless receiver that could hook up into the ethernet port on the network adapter? We got USB adapters for my brother's computer and my dad's computer and I have a PCMCIA card, so I'm not sure if there's even a thing that could help me.

8. Jon Teddlie

Thanks keep the suggestions coming. Morgan, so far most of the receivers are usb and will not work with Sony's official NA or Xbox as far as I know, this is why I decided to consider running cat 5 that and My HT is connected to the computer room so we are only talking about a 50ft run..

9. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

That should do the trick. Then again, I have no money.

I could just try to get my PS2 in my room whenever I want to play online...oh well, I'll figure something out.

11. Jon Teddlie

Joel, I did look at that receiver you listed and read that the xconnect program will not work with it. This doesn't mean xbox live and ps2 online won't work but I didn't want to blow the money just to find out.