Need Advice - Widescreen or Regular

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Be, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Mark_Be

Mark_Be Extra

Hi all,
    Great forum...especially for newbies.
    I just bought (although not delivered until tomorrow)a Panasonic 53" Widescreen HDTV. I am now second guessing my decision because it seems the more I look at regular format(i.e. not widescreen) big screen tvs, there appears to be a much larger picture even with the same dimension screen. I understand this is supposed to be this way but I wanted the "biggest" screen I could afford and I'm now wondering if the widescreen format was the thing to do. I was sold on the widescreen format because the salesman said in about two years, most of the broadcasts will be in the widescreen format.

What do you all think...did I make the right decision with widescreen vs regular format?
    Thanks in advance...
    Mark

2. Tom Kindel

Tom Kindel Auditioning

Mark,

IMHO...you made the right choice going wide screen. Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I was going through what you just did...pondering wide screen Vs regular screen. I started off wanting a regular 4:3 set because most of my viewing is standard analog cable, but also being a "techie" I knew that wide screen will be the future.

To make a long story short...I auditioned several TV's and just before Christmas took delivery of a Toshiba 50HDX82 (wide screen) and I love it! I use the stretch modes to fill the screen with the standard broadcasts (no burn in worries) and DVD's are GREAT!

I don't think it will be long before you start finding that "regular" TV's look funny to you. Pick up a calibration disc (Avia or S&V) and adjust your settings to save your CRT's and sit back and enjoy!

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Absolutely. You'll get a bigger picture with anamorphic DVDs, and it's true on digital stations most programming is widescreen

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Are there 4:3 HDTV sets?
    For if there aren't (as I suppose), you did buy the "bigger" image. Think of the (data-) content. In fact, more of the screen is used for image than on a non-HD TV set. You bought for the future and you will be starting to enjoy it now.

Cees

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Cees,
    There actually are 4:3 HDTVs, though why anyone would buy one is beyond me. So, assuming the decision is between a 4:3 HDTV, and a 16:9, the widescreen is definitely the way to go. The whole point of an HDTV is to display hi-def images, which, when they do arrive en-masse will all be widescreen. Then you will be using large portions of your 4:3 HDTV with black bars. Not only that, even if transition to digital doesnt happen for many more years, the 4:3 TV would be great for watching regular TV, with the most hideous resolution, and then when you pop in a DVD, all that resolution of the tv is wasted in the large letterbox bars. If you stay with the 16:9, all the highest def images, from DVD, or DTV, you will be ready, utilizing the largest portion of the screen for the best image, leaving no black bars on 16:9 TV broadcasts, and much smaller bars when watching movies than on a 4:3(depending of course on the aspect ratio of the movie). And as always, pardon the pun, but bigger is not always better [​IMG]

6. Mark_Be

Mark_Be Extra

Wow folks...thanks for all the responses! It's unanimous...I feel better now with the widescreen purchase. Can't wait for delivery tomorrow.

Now...just hope the Sony HT system I just bought is good enough to at least get me a half way decent audio system.
    I bought the Sony STR K840-P 5.1 system with 100 watts per channel. It's okay but I guess I was hoping for more power. I have a feeling the problem is with the cheap speakers that came with the system and the fact that I just came from a friend's house who has a Sony system with 110 watts per channel and over $2,500 in speakers. I was literally blown away with that system. I guess the speakers still make the big difference (I hope). I plan on upgrading the speakers as soon as possible.

Thanks again for all the input and let me know if you all think I did okay with the Sony 5.1 system. Price seemed reasonable at $379 for the whole system (including the 5 cheap speakers and a sub woofer).

Mark

7. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Mark,
    just FYI, but you should also connect the dvd player to the tv via the red, green, and blue componant cables rather than standard yellow, white, and red composite cables. When you view your discs anamorphically on this set they will look absolutly spectacular! [​IMG]
    I have a 48" HDTV and will NEVER go back to 4x3 ever again! [​IMG]
    And as suggested, pick up a copy of AVIA Guide to Home Theater to calibrate your set to get maximum performance from it. Every HT enthusiest, even beginners should not be without a copy of this dvd. If you do pick this disc up, allow 2 to 3 weeks of use to go by before calibrating to allow the tv to 'break in' as they say.
    Good luck and welcome to the forum, you'll love it here. [​IMG]

8. Mark_Be

Mark_Be Extra

Hi John,
    Thanks very much for the help/reply.
    I have heard the AVIA Guide to Home Theater mentioned several times and would like to get this DVD. Where might I find it?
    Thanks,
    Mark

9. Roger Li

Roger Li Extra

Most web-sites that sell DVDs cary the AVIA disc.

10. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Mark,
    sorry for the delay, as stated you can pick it up online. I got my copy at Best Buy, however it's pretty scarce these days, I havn't seen it on the shelf in quite some time.

11. Tom Kindel

Tom Kindel Auditioning

You can also find the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune Up disc at a lot of electronics chain stores, like Best Buy and Fry's for about $20.

It's basically a stripped down version of the Avia DVD, produced by the same people who do Avia, but it provides all the basic user menu calibrations you'll need for your video and audio adjustments.

12. Mark_Be

Mark_Be Extra

Roger, John and Tom...
    Thanks much for the info...I'll pick up the DVD.
    BTW...just took delivery of my Panasonic HDTV and I really love it! Can't wait to get better speakers for the sound system. Gee...I think I've been bitten by the bug!
    Mark