[Need Advice] SPL1000 or SVS PB2 ISD

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RobertJP, Dec 4, 2003.

1. RobertJP

RobertJP Auditioning

My sub died. So I need a new one! [​IMG]

I've read tons on SVS and 90% sure I want one (PB2 ISD). I've emailed SVS already with my specs and since my house is so open, they suggested a PB2 ISD (even though its more than I need).

A local retailer here is selling the SPL1000 velodyne's at $700. The only reason I would be tempted to buy locally is if I have an issue I can easily take it back.

Here is my current setup:
    B&W CDM 7SE fronts
    B&W CSE Center
    Purchasing CM2's for the rear this weekend.
    Denon AVR3803
    Denon 2200

Here are the dimensions of the room:
    Floor to Ceiling: 7' 9"
    Front to Back: 19' 6"
    Side to Side: 12'

I'm 60/40, watch movies 60% of the time and music 40% of the time.

I do like listening to music and movies somewhat loud - but not ear shattering [​IMG] I like to have some good thumpin' for movies!!

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

SVS....there CS is great. If you have a problem with the sub they are there to help you.....

3. Paul_Ptaaty

Paul_Ptaaty Stunt Coordinator

The main reason to go with the SPL1000 is the small form factor. IF size is of no concern the SVS should have better performance. You could fit about 4-6 SPL1000s in the space needed for one PB2 [​IMG]

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hi Robert. I understand your thinking. I went the same rout basically a while back and now I wish I had not. (Dual Velo ct-150) I could have saved myself some time and $$ just going with SVS in the first place. I'll call it my own learning curve.

No need to worry about SVS taking care of you if you have a problem as few as they are. If one should come up they will handle it as if they were your own neighborhood HI-FI store. I blew a driver once (I was being naughty) and they had one out the door to me the next day. Routine way of doing business for them I assure you.

It's good to have a little headroom so I would recommend that you take the well earned advice that SVS sent you. I could get by with less bass than what I have but headroom has many benefits including a more problem free sub. A PB2 ISD would do very well in your 1920 cubic foot room and give you that added extra thumpin' for the movies you desire.

I run B&W and Denon also [​IMG]

5. RobertJP

RobertJP Auditioning

Sweet, thanks for feedback guys!!

Steve, do you have B&W rears? Do yours match your front? The guy said "ideally" you want to match fronts with the rears, but that means the $1500 705s. Although impressive speaker, I can't justify the $1500 at this time. I'm gonna go with the CM2s for the rear.

I don't really like the guy I'm dealin' with. I asked him if he knew about SVS, and his response was "Sounds like an internet special to me". He also thought that purchasing a 3803 was a poor choice and I should of gone with a Rotel. But I couldn't pass up the $648 deal [​IMG] BTW, he sells alot of Denon, so I don't get it.

Thanks again guys!

6. RobertJP

RobertJP Auditioning

Oh, and size doesn't matter in my situation! HEY, thats not what I meant!! I meant that being single and owning my own house means that bigger the subwoofer, the better [​IMG] I just need approval from my dog! [​IMG]

7. TanT

TanT Stunt Coordinator

Of course he would have said nice things about Denon if you were to purchase it from him, at a higher price [​IMG]

That sounds like a typical sale person to me.

8. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Robert,

One objective way to compare the two woofs would be to start with the Tom Nousaine data. Although neither subwoofer has been measured by TN, some of the *sister* models from each company have. The SPL1200 was measured twice and hit 107dB once and 104dB the second time (maximum clean output measured at 25,31,40,50,63hz and averaged). It would probably be a fairly safe assumption that the SPL1000 would have about 3dBs less output capabilities. So if you took the average score from the two SPL1200 tests...and subtracted 3...it would be about 103dB.

The 20-39cs from SVS hit 109.5dB.

I'm not going to try to guess exactly what a PB-2+ would measure for TN, but I do feel saying 6dB higher is extremely conservative. So that would be 103 compared to 115...assuming my comparison estimates are accurate of course. That means it would take four of the SPL1000s to equal the PB-2+.

I'm sure your local dealer is sincere in his concerns for your spending dollar. Ideally you'd be able to try both out in your home to decide for yourself of course..[​IMG]

Tom V.
    SVS

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Steve, do you have B&W rears? Do yours match your front?
    __________________________________________________ _____

At this time I don't Robert. I do plan on four 601 S3 for the back in April though along with another 25-31CS+. It would be nice to be able to go with four 602 S3's in the back but WAF and my own conservative $$ dictate that I not. I am close to 100% movies and feel this will be plenty for my situation.. So you got in on that great Denon buy also!

Here is a link to the list Tom speaks of http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/T...Sub%20Data.htm

If size is not a issue then I would suggest save yourself some time and also know that Tom is being conservative in his analyses, especially in the lower freqs.[​IMG]

10. RobertJP

RobertJP Auditioning

Thanks guys, you make it all too easy for me [​IMG]

Steve, I did listen to the 601s, very impressive for the price. They cost half of what the CM2s are - I might just have to go listen to those again. I didn't listen to the 602s, not sure if they had those setup or not. They had the 705 and the CM2s in the same room and the 601s in another. I wish they had all 3 next to each other. What are you running for your fronts?

11. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

robert,

i know what retailer you are talking about, and it makes your decision really easy. they are sold out of the spl 1000 completely. only the spl 8000 is left, for $699.

oh, i might add that they are a great place to shop too.

12. Allan*C

Allan*C Agent

Robert,

I'm running 5 B&W CDMSE1s in one of my set-ups. I wanted a perfect match all the way around. I insisted my dealer break up a pair. Although they match perfectly, in hindsight, if I were trying to save a bit of money, I would have downgraded the rears. I listen to alot of concert DVDs (no DVDA or SACD, so that may make more difference) and I don't think the differnce is that large. I also would have bought the regular center channel for more flexibility.

The system I just bought for my new HT are ACIs. Panaoramas, Essence, and Sapphires. I realized I didn't need five identical speakers (others may disagree). I very much prefer the ACIs over the Nautilus 803,4 and 5s I was looking at.

I just ordered a SVS PB2+ to complete and am patiently awaiting delivery.

Good luck, sounds like you'l enjoy your system quite a bit.

13. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

What are you running for your fronts?
    __________________________________________________ ____

Humble 602 S3's with the LCR 600.. Having all three in the same room would definitely be a good demo situation RobertJP. I would like to upgrade my surrounds now but My wife says if I wait for six months and exercise a little patients, (just to show her) I will have her full blessing. Considering all that I have been up to I guess it is a reasonable request[​IMG]. So in April I will finish my system if there is such a finishing point? Just in time for our 20th anniversary come to think of it! That will be her present then [​IMG]. No I guess that wont do? Come to think of it! I think she is putting a play on me. That tricky woman.

Hey' thats great Allan. congrats on your PB2+. Will this be your first SVS experience then and what size room is it going in?

Is it really Friday guys??

14. RobertJP

RobertJP Auditioning

Thanks Allan and Steve!

I think I might buy the CM2s and ask to also take a pair of the 705s home to demo. Doubt they would bite on that, but never know. I also might try looking around for a used pair of 705s.

Steve, I waited 4 years to purchase my rears [​IMG]

Allan, congrats on the PB2+... I'm puttin' my order in for an SVS this weekend [​IMG]

15. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

RobertJP - you have absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of returning / warranty replacement.

When I purchased my 20-39PC+ USED - the guy said the baseplate was cracked when he first got it. So when we arranged the deal, we managed to get the warranty replacement from SVS and they transferred ownership to my name. No questions asked. Was easy and simple, didn't cost me a dime. And the person that sold me the 20-39PC+ just as promptly purchased his new PB2+. [​IMG]

16. Allan*C

Allan*C Agent

Steve,

My room is about 2800 cubic feet. I currently have a B&W ASW 2000 that died last week. I am/was a huge B&W fan. The members here talked me into trying ACI and Onix and I am very happy. I also bought the SVS based on opinions on the forums. In fact, everything I bought in the last couple of months has been influenced by member input (plus I saved a ton of money, or is that spent a ton of money [​IMG] ):

Anthem AVM 20
    Sherbourn 7/2100
    ACI Panorama, Essence, Sapphires
    BenQ 8700
    Carada 110" Brilliant White Screen
    Denon 3800 DVD
    SVS PB2+
    Berkine 090 Chairs

Without these forums I probably would have bought a 50" plasma or RPTV and a DVD player that a sales guy recommended. Needless to say, I'm one happy camper. BTW, my B&Ws run on Rotel gear and they sound great as well.

Robert, good luck, I think you'll be very happy.

17. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I remember your Thread now Allan. (I think it's spent a ton of money) Your HT is the same size as mine. I am in a 2880 cubic foot room. I run three 25-31CS+'s but dual is very adequate. Your really going to like the PB2+ for sure I guarantee you. It will be interesting to hear your impression after you get it all dialed in if you have the time? Your world is going to change as you know it if you really like bass?

So your going to go through with it Robert? I am very confident you will be glad you did. I wonder if the PB2+ will be SVS's most popular sub thus far?

Back to my movie[​IMG]

18. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Nah - I'm guessing the 25-31PCi would probably be the most popular as it also hits the value crowd as well. PB2+ is more for power users.

19. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I suppose your right Ernest but I have seen allot of PCI users upgrading lately. I would think most users do not hang out on the Forum and a good chance many would generally not be as aggressive about their bass although the PCI is definitely no slouch.