Need advice selecting my next printer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I've come to the conclusion that my old Canon BJC-610 is no longer the cutting edge of technology.

I'm looking for a new printer - for $200 or less - that will allow me to print quality photos and DVD cover art. I'm going to convert my snappers, and I want an image that will pass, on relatively close inspection, for the original. I also may be printing snapshot-sized copies of scanned photos.

Are most printers these days up to the task? What should I be looking for, specification-wise?

Thanks,

Jon

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    All the sub-$200 photo-printers are good: Epson, Canon, HP. The regular inkjet printers are also good, but if you're only doing photographic-type work, then a photo-printer might be your best bet. The tradeoff (basically) is slower printing for higher quality.

If you want these prints to last many years look printers that promise archival quality output. New Epsons (which I've got) use dye-based inks and claim 70 years lifespan when used with archival paper.

Pick up PC World and PC Magazine magazines; they have inkjet printers reviews and recommendations occaisionally.