What's new

Need advice: Seeking HT 5.1 speakers for a small room. (1 Viewer)

Mammawombwomb

Auditioning
Real Name
Constantine
Hi

It's my first post here. I have inherited a Denon AVR-87 and am trying to match decent speakers to it. The room it is in is 15X13. After hours of research on the web I have a headache, but learned not to go with Bose (?), which I actually had my eyes on. So, what would your guys' advice be foe decent 5.1 speakers within a $800.00 range?
Any advice will be much appreciated.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Mammawombwomb

Welcome to the forums.

Has a former cinema projectionist, I would treat Boose has if it where the black plague itself!!!

Most of the cinema industry uses JBL, and JBL has been the leader since the first talkie back in 1927, Al Jolson, The Jazz Singer, JBL has been recognized by, A.M.P.A.S. AKA Oscar, and have won more awards to block up the Merseyside tunnel!

I’ve been running, successfully JBL Control 5 for 17 years now, and only just recently installed JBL Control 1 for the surrounds, in an array configuration, and the results is cinema like surround and not that dipolar nonsense!

Check out my small but very loud little home cinema, and bearing in mind, you’re room is only just a little larger, I think if you look for the best price for JBL and the correct amount for the surrounds, and use smaller arrays attached to the sidewalls and back wall, you will get similar results that you would only hear in a commercial cinema.

Setting the levels for the array so that it will give a safe sound pressure level in the centre of the room with a peak of “85dbA” and a “C weighting peak close to 100dbc” will be more than ample.
The fronts should be made up of three matching loudspeakers, “three matching loudspeakers” no mismatching here, has this will result in poor performance with timbre matching, sensitivity, frequency response, and program power handling

Using the internal amplifiers that are built into you’re AVR, is only a basic approach to home cinema which cuts back on the essentials like using active X-over units, outboard equalization for in-room response corrections! Also other audio components that way a whole lot of difference, all you really paying for is a basic AVR with the most important part of it, the Dolby Digital decoder or dts and other.

THX 3417 small but very loud!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=239134

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Do you plan to listen to music on this system, or is it pretty much geared towards movies only?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
btw, this kind of question is more suited to the "Basics" or "Speakers & Subwoofers" area. "Members Home Theaters is more of vanity area-- "Here is my theatre, isn't it cool?"

TripC

Grip
For a small room, I would suggest my first 5.1 setup. It is a DCM Cinema2 pacakge. I think they are still available at CC.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks